BUILDING CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR III
|Department||DGS Facilities Planning Design & Construction|
|Date Opened||6/12/2019 08:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/26/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$37,476-$59,260/year(based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Mojisola Ogungbe|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is located with the Department of General Services, Office of Facilities Planning,Design, and Construction. The position is responsible for management of projects located in the Baltimore Annapolis Area.
Main Purpose of Job
This Construction Inspector position performs inspection, record keeping, contract administration and construction management functions for construction contracts awarded by the Department of General Services. Also orders services from and evaluates performance of construction supporting contracts, such as: a. Construction and post-construction services portion of architect/engineer contracts; b. CITS (Construction Inspection and Testing Services) contracts.
Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Review plans and specifications during design phase. Prepare and submit comments. Monitor incorporation of comments into design. Advise superiors if significant comments are not incorporated by the designer.
2. Become completely familiar with plans and specifications prior to pre-construction conference. Bring to supervisor’s and architect’s attention any issues requiring resolution.
3. Visit job site with the frequency required to ensure work is performed in accordance with the contract documents and to monitor progress.
4. When contractor’s work does not comply with contract documents or progress is not on schedule, initiate action to correct quality and timeliness.
5. Request CITS/A-E inspection/testing assistance when required.
6. Keep current with applicable codes (BOCA, NEC, NFPA, etc).
7. Ensure contractor’s work complies with other State agencies regulations (i.e. – MDE, MOSH, Labor & Industry).
8. Be knowledgeable of and enforce job site safety.
9. Conduct warranty inspections. Follow-up and ensure timely correction of noted deficiencies.
1. Obtain contract documents, award letter, before pre-construction conference.
2. Schedule and hold pre-construction conference.
3. Obtain and maintain access to job site.
4. Hold bi-weekly progress meetings. Review PCO and submittal status, job progress.
5. Review/process contractor invoices.
6. Track report progress using contractor’s monthly CPM schedule. Use schedule to review contractor requisitions, evaluate requests for time extensions.
7. Review and process PCO’s. Evaluate for entitlement, cost and time.
8. Prepare work list, punch list for use at work list, substantial completion inspections.
9. Monitor work list, punch list completion.
10. Prepare 50%, 100% contractor performance evaluations.
11. Prepare A/E performance evaluation.
12. Ensure all required close-out actions are taken prior to processing final requisition.
1. Coordinate project activities with the A/E. Using Agency, CITS, Project Manager. Arrange meetings necessary to resolve disputes, issues.
2. Request interpretation or decision on matters needing additional clarification from appropriate parties (Area Supervisor, Regional Manager, A/E, and Project Manager).
3. Notify superiors, progressively through the chain of command, of problems significant issues and/or cost issues. Be persistent in seeking resolution of such problems from superiors.
4. Aggressively follow-up and resolve open issues with Contractor, Using Agency, A/E, Project Manager or other DGS Construction personnel.
5. Establish and maintain a professional working relationship with the using agency.
6. Insist contractor, A/E meet their contractual obligations.
7. Recommend acceptance of work to Area Supervisor/Regional Manager.
8. Get punch list completed in a timely manner.
9. Close-out project in a timely manner.
1. For all assigned projects produce accurate and concise daily inspection reports, weekly Construction Status Report updates, and special reports as required.
2. Record job site progress, issues with photos.
3. Set up and maintain project file in accordance with the Region’s or Division’s standard filing system.
4. Maintain a PCO log using Division’s standard format.
5. Maintain a submittal log.
6. Warranty inspection reports – Record areas/systems inspected and deficiencies found.
7. Test reports – Maintain file of all required test results.
8. For tests required by the specification but not performed, document decision not to perform test with a memo to the test file.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Four years of building construction experience, three years of which must have been at the level of supervisor or building codes inspector on building construction projects.
Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a non-commissioned officer in Civil Engineer Corps classifications or Technical Engineer or Civil Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional licenses and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-1386 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|