ASSESSMENTS ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR - Class C
|Department||DAT Real Property Valuation|
|Date Opened||1/10/2019 12:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/24/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,897.00 - $81,680.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Susan Derlunas|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Assessments for Caroline County
Denton Multi-Service Center
207 South Third Street
Denton, Maryland 21629
Main Purpose of Job
- Assists the Supervisor of Assessments in the management of a local office of assessments. · Assists in the development and implementation of local office policy and procedures.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of local property assessments records.
- Prepares reports and estimates of the value of taxable property.
- Assists in the planning and execution of a program of assessment and reassessment of taxable property.
- Cooperates with appropriate related local officials, officers and departments.
- Carries on a continuing program of public information to advise property owners of the activities and duties performed by the department that are required by law.
- Analyzes existing market data and applies standard appraisal techniques to determine the value of land or buildings in accordance with Annotated Code of Maryland Tax Property Article and the Maryland Assessment Procedures Manual for commercial and residential properties.
- Reviews and approves annual reassessments to assure final figures adhere to established standards of uniformity by following departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Operates Assessment Administrator & Valuation System (AAVS) to create and merge files.
- Conducts appeal hearings and reviews and approves the decisions rendered as result of supervisory level appeals made by subordinate staff to assure compliance with departmental procedures and regulations.
- Reviews and evaluates the work completed by the assessor field staff.
- Acts as a back-up to Supervisor of Assessments in the event of the Supervisor's absence.
Education: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Completion of the International Association of Assessing Officers Courses 101, 102 and 300 or equivalent courses approved by the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Experience: Six years of professional appraisal experience estimating the value of real property performed in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice Code.
1. Additional appraisal experience involving the valuation of real property may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in financial administration and program classification or financial administration and program specialty codes in the accounting and budget field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Two years of Supervisory Experience.
- Experience in the valuation of commercial and industrial properties.
- Understanding of real property tax laws in Maryland and IAAO standards.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Recruitment is limited to current State Department of Assessments and Taxation Employee's only.
Selected candidate must be willing to work to work at the Caroline County Assessments Office.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be required to have daily use of a motor vehicle while on official State business. Standard mileage allowance will be paid for use of a privately owned vehicle.
2. Upon appointment, persons possessing a real estate broker or sales license, or a license to sell insurance, will be required to put same in an "Inactive" status.
3. Employees are prohibited from participating in any outside activity, including private appraisals, which may be deemed a conflict of interest by the Director of the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Assessment and Taxation Attn: Human Resources Department, Room 511 300 W. Preston Street Baltimore, MD 21201.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 410-767-1140.
APPLCATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON THE CLOSING DATE.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|