PARK TECHNICIAN I
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||11/12/2019 10:47:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/26/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$32,176.00 - $50,377.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Khia Poteat|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This intermediate level position will be responsible for monitoring and maintenance of grounds, facilities and equipment at the park including day use areas, headquarters/shop complex, and bathhouse buildings. The position operates and maintains power tools and heavy equipment, oversees and performs routine grounds, facilities and equipment maintenance in the state park. The position will complete projects for maintenance, repair and improvements to park grounds and facilities, including carpentry, electrical, masonry and plumbing. Duties may include trail construction and maintenance, mowing and trimming, removal of downed and hazardous trees, re-routing of park trails, and boundary marking.
The incumbent may also lead or supervise work of seasonal employees and volunteers. While the maintenance of park buildings is the primary function of this position, the selected candidate will also assist with day-to-day park operations, including opening and closing park facilities, assisting with park visitor needs, and helping with special events as required.
Education: Possession of a high school diploma or high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: One year of experience in the skilled maintenance or construction trades, e.g. electrician, plumber or experience in the maintenance of a park, forest or wildlife facility.
1. Applicants may substitute education in the field of forestry, wildlife biology or park management at an accredited college or university at the rate of 30 semester credit hours for each year of the required experience for up to two years.
2. Applicants may substitute experience for the required High School education at the rate of one year experience for one year of education up to a maximum of four years.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in equipment, facilities, and services classification or equipment, facilities, and services specialty codes in the equipment, facilities, and services field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Experience in small equipment repair and basic vehicle maintenance
Experience leading work crews or volunteer groups through project completion
Operational experience in parks in the event of emergency or facility breakdown
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Some positions in this classification are assigned duties which will require the individual to be examined by a physician. After an offer of employment, applicants for such positions will be given a medical examination to certify the ability to perform the essential job functions.
2. Upon permanent appointment the employee may be required to reside in the county, region, or park to which they are assigned.
3. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require a valid operator license for heavy equipment, such as bulldozers, back-hoes, payloaders or tractors.
4. Persons appointed to these positions may be required to have their current private residence telephone number listed in the agency’s telephone directory or on file with Forest, Park and Wildlife Communications Center in case of emergencies.
5. The employee may be required to attend training and be certified as a water plant operator.
6. Employees in this classification may be required to lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds or more.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources Human Resources 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Khia Poteat at email@example.com.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.