BUILDING SECURITY OFFICER TRAINEE
|Department||DGS Maryland Capitol Police|
|Date Opened||9/26/2019 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/10/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$23,977.00 - $36,952.00/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Positions are within the MD Capitol Police Division of the Department of General Services (DGS-MCP) located in Annapolis and Baltimore, MD.
Main Purpose of Job
A Building Security Officer Trainee is the beginning level of work responsible for the safety and security of persons, equipment and facilities at the Annapolis or Baltimore State Office Complexes. An employee in this classification does not have supervisory responsibilities.
This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this classification must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night and are required to remain or report for duty at such hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
If you are the selected candidate you will be required to take a Pre-Employment Physical. This will assess your ability to safely perform the essential functions of the position.
Duties for these positions include but are not limited to the following:
- May be assigned to post(s) that require the understanding or ability to operate x-ray machines, metal detectors, solar vehicle, bicycle, Segway, etc.
- Staffs crosswalks to allow employees and visitors the ability to safely navigate streets in and around State facilities.
- Reports the presence of suspicious persons and those who are determined not to have official business on State property in order to prevent unauthorized entry into facilities.
- Performs fire, light and security checks by patrolling and observing, both interior and exterior of assigned facility, in order to recognize hazards, as or before they occur.
- Observes and reports incidents in order to minimize loss or damage to property and equipment. Recognizes and reports, incidents or malfunctions which would endanger the safety of occupants to DGS-MCP communications as they are observed. -
Acts in a courteous and helpful manner when screening employees and visitors in order to present a positive image of the State of Maryland, the Department of General Services and the Maryland Capitol Police.
- Reads, comprehends and adheres to all DGS-MCP Standard Operating Procedures, Rules of Conduct, Executive Orders, Administrative Orders and the laws of the State of Maryland in order to function efficiently and effectively in performance of job duties.
- Other functions that may be required that enable this agency to fulfill its government mission, which is to provide law enforcement and physical security to State owned and managed property.
Education: Ability to read and write.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Two years of recent continuous work experience/continuous employment is strongly preferred.
Previous security experience preferred.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of an automobile. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees in this classification are subject to call 24 hours a day and, therefore, will be required to provide the employer with a telephone number where they can be reached.
This position is designated as a sensitive classification. Testing for illegal use of drugs is required and shall be conducted during the selection process.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this position. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional licenses and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay