POLICE OFFICER II
|Department||DGS Maryland Capitol Police|
|Date Opened||10/1/2019 1:42:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/1/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$43,232-$54,495/year hiring range with progression to $67,412/year|
|HR Analyst||Mojisola Ogungbe|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is with the Maryland Department of General Services, Maryland Capitol Police, with positions located in Baltimore City and Annapolis, Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
A Police Officer II is the full performance level of law enforcement work, enforcing laws, rules, and regulations governing the safety and protection of personnel and State property. Police Officers in this classification do not have supervisory responsibility, and will receive general supervision from a Police Officer Supervisor or Police Officer Manager. Employees may be assigned to day, evening, night or rotating shifts which may include holidays and weekends. Employees may be subject to call- in and overtime based on staffing needs, and may be required to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this classification must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night and are required to remain or report for duty at such hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
Duties for the Police Officer II position include, but are not limited to:
- Enforces laws, rules, and regulations governing the protection of personnel and State property.
- Directs vehicular traffic, enforces parking regulations, investigates accidents, and issues warnings and citations.
- Prepares clear, concise, and accurate incident reports in accordance with agency directives and standard operating procedures.
- Investigates criminal acts to resolve and/or prosecute criminal activity. Makes arrests and testifies in court.
- Renders emergency and/or first aid to sick or injured persons. Stabilizes injured persons prior to ambulance response.- Responds to disturbances, emergencies, suspicious persons, and suspicious activities.
- Other functions may be required that enable this agency to fulfill its overall governmental mission to provide law enforcement and physical security to the Department of General Services owned and managed properties.
High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission regulation.
: Six months of experience as a certified law enforcement officer.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-207.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Two or more years of experience as a certified law enforcement officer is strongly preferred.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess a police officer certification as required by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission at the time of application.
2. Applicants formerly certified by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission as a police officer within the past three years who are eligible for recertification at the time of appointment meet the certification requirement for this classification. The recertification criteria are listed in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.04.01.07, available at the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission.
3. Employees may be required to possess or obtain a special police commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-209.
1. Selection standards for police officer certification are established by theMaryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-207. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.04.01.04 and include the following: U.S. Citizenship Must be at least 21 years of age Satisfactory background investigation, including a check of criminal history Oral interview Physical examination Possession of a driver's license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, will be required to provide the employer with a phone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification may be required to bear firearms and to demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis as required by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Candidates who meet the qualifications listed in this announcement will be required to take and pass a physical fitness/agility test in order to move to the oral interview process. For more information on the Physical Fitness/Agility testing standards, please visit: https://mcp.maryland.gov/Documents/Recruiting%20Brochure%20(3).pdf
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time,temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
Contact (email@example.com) or call 410-767-1386 with questions about this recruitment. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|