COMPUTER NETWORK SPECIALIST II
Telecommunication Support Specialist
|Department||DPSCS Information Technology & Communications Div|
|Date Opened||3/12/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/29/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jacob Rolon|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Resolves Technical Issues and Problems
- Receives trouble tickets from Remedy Call Tracking System, the TSR process, as well as emails and telephone calls
- Meet with user to discuss circumstances and/or symptoms of problems in order to determine proper course of action to obtain resolution
- Communicate with management, the findings of meetings with user and propose possible solutions or alternatives Ø Implement solutions as directed by management
- Update Remedy and management with information pertaining to the resolution of problems
- If necessary, utilize Remote Service software to access the required system to investigate and resolve the problem
- If necessary, place a service call to outside vendor supporting hardware and/or software to schedule repairs in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Meets with other ITCD team members to communicate issues and develop resolutions
- Initiate and perform the appropriate industry standard troubleshooting methods
- Provide documentation of setup and configuration for clients and maintain documentation
- Update inventories as directed
- Perform moves, adds and changes (MAC’s) and infrastructure changes thus ensuring that the system or unit is functioning properly
- Track any IT related problems
- Follow-up with users
- Report unresolved problems to management
- Other duties as required
Serve as a Departmental Resources for Telecommunications Related Issues
- Develop and maintain proficiency in the use of agency standard telecommunication technologies
- Assist and train users in the operation of telecommunications devices
Delivers Enhanced Customer Service
- Determine customer needs, answer questions and volunteer necessary information.
- Alert users on status of tickets
- Develop and maintain working cooperation with DPSCS and other state and federal agencies within the law enforcement communities
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems, or other information technology related field, to include course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks.
1. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator or equivalent certification program for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for a high school education: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum of 5 years’ experience administering and supporting large PBX (Private Branch Exchange), Voicemail and call accounting system as both stand alone and campus environment.
Minimum of 3 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting and repairing CAT3 and CAT5/5e cabling.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Please make sure that you provide complete and accurate information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
To submit your qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
ATTN: J. Rolon
300 East Joppa Road, Suite 1107
Towson, MD 21286
For more information, please call 410-339-3695
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.