IT STAFF SPECIALIST
|Department||MSP - Criminal Investigation Bureau|
|Date Opened||2/6/2019 1:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/21/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$47,795.00 - $76,513.00/year|
|HR Analyst||William Boniarski|
LOCATION OF POSITION
MSP Forensic Sciences Division
221 Milford Mill Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
Main Purpose of Job
This position is the full performance level of work reviewing, evaluating, and preparing technical assessments of information technology issues in support of the Forensic Sciences Division. This position will function as the primary point of contact between Maryland State Police-Forensic Sciences Division and Maryland State Police-Information Technology Division in regards to all Forensic Science related IT operations.
Oversees application operations within the Forensic Sciences Division. This includes planning, maintenance of current functionality and implementation of future functionality. These could include, but are not limited to: DNA Sample Tracker, Veripic and StartLIMS.
Oversees the planning/development/implementation of any new IT related operations that are either assigned or sought out by the Forensic Sciences Division.
Trains end users in the use and operation of all IT applications used by the Forensic Sciences Division. Drafts and subsequently reviews/revises operating manual for the application.
Develop an understanding of all the IT needs of the Maryland State Police-Forensic Sciences Division (MSP_FSD) and work with the other IT staff assigned to the MSP-FSD to ensure those needs are met and communicate issues to the MSP-FSD Deputy Director and the MSP-ITD Deputy Director.
Perform other related duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or other information technology related field to include course work in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or in operating systems and data communications technology.
Experience: One year of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining applications systems and programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or maintaining and modifying operating systems for computers.
1. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and thirty credit hours from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or other information technology related field to include course work in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or in operating systems and data communications technology may be substituted for the required education.
2. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and one additional year of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining applications systems and programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or maintaining and modifying operating systems for computers may be substituted for the required education.
3. Experience operating computer systems; or scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining a tape library to process data on computer systems; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining microcomputer hardware and software; or converting data from project specifications by developing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages may be substituted for high school education on a year-for-year basis.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Cyber and Information Systems classifications or Cyber and Information Systems specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Project management experience in the information technology field
2. Knowledge of StartLIMS, DNA Sample Tracker and/or Veripic systems
3. Experience coordinating projects between different disciplines
4. Experience working with Forensic Laboratories
5. Database knowledge and experience
The selection for this process will involve a review of each application. Applicants who meet the minimum and selective qualifications will be placed on an eligible list in the BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED or QUALIFIED category. The list will be used by the hiring manager to select the individual(s) to fill the vacancy(s). The list will be valid for one year.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. You may be required to complete a qualifications supplement, or the rating may be based on your application. Report all experience and education that is related to this position. Applicants may be given a physical examination and will be subject to an interview, background investigation, polygraph examination and substance abuse testing.
NOTE: Applicants are limited to uploading one file. Please upload ALL required and additional documents (undergraduate and graduate transcripts, resumes, etc.) as one file. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online.
Completed applications, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Maryland State Police
Human Resources Division
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
ATTN: William Boniarski
It is the policy of the Maryland State Police to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.