CAPITAL MAINTENANCE PROJECT ENGINEER II
|Department||DGS Facilities Planning Design & Construction|
|Date Opened||8/23/2019 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/23/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$56,165.00 - $90,173.00/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is with the Maryland Department of General Services, Facilities Planning, Design, Construction & Energy Division. The position is located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
This position will support the Department of General Services (DGS) Facility Engineering Division's (FED) Statewide Facilities Assessment Unit that supports State owned buildings. This unit is within the DGS Office of Facilities Planning, Design, Construction & Energy (FPDCE). The unit is responsible for the facilities assessment of all State owned, DGS supported facilities that rely on the Statewide Facilities Renewal and Critical Maintenance Programs for system replacement design, installation, and construction funding. This includes DGS, MDH, Vet, Milit, DJS, DPSCS, HSMCC, DLLR, MDA, MDE, MDP, MEMA, MPT, MSP, and the MD School for the Deaf. This position also directs and coordinates facility engineering work in a Statewide maintenance and repair program involving the inspection, design and repair of systems and utilities related to the maintenance of buildings and grounds. Identify, prioritize and monitor the maintenance and repair of State owned facilities according to State policies and standards. Utilize funds to prevent the deterioration of State facilities and avert potentially life threatening conditions. The work requires travel to sites throughout the State in order to assess the condition of the facility and determine the necessary projects and prioritization of these repair projects.
Job duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Assessment of Statewide Facilities: Conduct onsite inspections of State owned facilities, perform assessment of facility needs, prioritize identified work, and record data in designated format. Provide recommendations, guidance, and support to facility personal as needed.
- Meetings/Miscellaneous: Attend all meetings as necessary, resolving issues and providing project management insight. Process invoices in accordance with regulations. Review documentation as submitted and approve as necessary. Assist with developing processes and procedures to further the mission of the assessment unit.
- Construction Document Design: Manage the A/E design contract to assure coordination between the A/E and the using agency to obtain a design that matches the project justification and meets the standard for the industry for construction. Evaluate and request changes as necessary on all A/E submittals. Conduct CD review meetings. Review/Approve estimates prepared by A/E.
- Design or A/E Selection, Negotiation and Management: Evaluate the program letter and project justification submitted by the facility to determine what if any professional A/E service is required. Involve the using agency throughout the selection and design process. Negotiate the A/E fees and obtain procurement approval as required. Self-design work when possible.
- Procurement Actions: Prepare bidding documents incorporating the A/E construction design into the DGS procurement package. Coordinate the advertising date, the pre-bid date, and the bid date between the DGS Procurement Office, and the using agency and submit package for procurement.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two years of experience as an Engineer in the building construction, renovation or maintenance fields.
1. Candidates may substitute additional engineering experience performing maintenance or construction engineering work in facility and maintenance system work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Civil Engineer Corps classifications or Construction Engineering Technician, or Civil or Combat Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
Applicants must meet the selective qualification(s) to be considered. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
One year of experience conducting facility level assessments including field survey, documentation, and prioritization of any of the following types of systems:
- Mechanical/electrical/plumbing infrastructure;
- Building envelope to include roof and facade;
- Building grounds to include sidewalk/parking/storm water infrastructure.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualifications. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
- Experience working with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Experience establishing policies and procedures.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees may be required to carry an electronic paging device or provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this position. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional licenses and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay