HR SPECIALIST TRN
|Department||DHS - Ops Ofc - Div of Budget Finance & Personnel|
|Date Opened||6/6/2019 12:20:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/20/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$37,476.00 - $59,260.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Betty Ketterman|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Human Services
Office of Human Resource Development and Training
311 W. Saratoga Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
This position functions as an entry level Examination Specialist for the Office of Human Resource Development and Training, Examination Services Unit (ESU), Maryland Department of Human Services. This position is responsible for learning the procedures of all areas of the testing process, including development, administration, monitoring and scoring of examinations for those classifications unique to the Department of Human Services, as well as generic classifications tested on a position-specific basis. This position learns to conduct the examination process, including processing the initial exam request, creating the job announcement, reviewing applications for minimum qualifications, conducting testing and establishing an eligible list of candidates. This position receives close supervision from a higher level HR professional.
Learns to review applications submitted to determine whether applicants meet minimum qualifications, notifies disapproved candidates in accordance with established procedures, resolves any issues with disapproved candidates; provides customer service to both internal and external customers that meets or exceeds the standards set by the Department; learns to provide information on DHS recruitment and examination activities, policies and procedures to DHS headquarters staff, local department staff, applicants, other State agencies and the general public; learns to review incoming requisitions (reqs.) for accuracy in order to establish an Open and Continuous (OC) eligible list or to submit to the Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division (DBM RED) for Position-Specific Recruitment (PSR) exam process approval, for PSR's, learns to create the recruitment plan, including the job announcement; learns to develop, review and score examinations for written, unassembled and performance tests in accordance with DBM RED, HRDT and Examination Services Unit procedures; learns to maintain an up-to-date Project Folder for each exam following established procedures, studies position descriptions, class specifications and other relevant material in order to increase job knowledge and to maintain/improve the operation of and services provided by HRDT's Examination Services Unit; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
1. An associate's or bachelor's degree in a major closely-related to HR (Human Resources); such as, HR/Personnel Administration, HR/Personnel Management, Psychology, Business Administration, Business Management or Public Administration.
2. Six or more months of experience using HRIS-related computer software; such as, JobAps, PeopleSoft or similar programs.
3. Six or more months of paraprofessional or professional Human Resource/Personnel experience in an HR/Personnel Office.
4. One or more years of experience using Microsoft Office Suite Word, Excel and/or Google Sheets and Docs.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills to relate to a wide variety of staff, employees and members of the public.
6. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
7. Attention to detail and analytical skills.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Human Services, Examination Services Unit, 311 W. Saratoga Street, Room 137, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please fax requested information only to 410-333-0882. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
If you have questions concerning the recruitment process for this position, please call 410-767-7414.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
All mailed documents must include the applicant's name and job number and must be received by 5 P.M. on the closing date. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.