HR SPECIALIST TRAINEE- Benefits and Compensation
Office of Human Resources
|Department||COMP Financial and Support Services|
|Date Opened||11/5/2019 2:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/19/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,601.00 - $46,183.00/year *Salary rule guidelines apply*|
|HR Analyst||Dionne Sellman|
THIS RECRUITMENT IS LIMITED TO CURRENT TEMPORARY, CONTRACTUAL AND PERMANENT STATE OF MARYLAND EMPLOYEES
This is a position specific recruitment. The resulting certified eligible list may be used to staff several current and future vacancies for this position/function only.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment, classification, salary administration, employee relations, test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
- Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment actions.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classification or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
** For education obtained outside of the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. If you possess a degree obtained outside of the United States, please submit a detailed, course-by-course evaluation report from one of the U.S. equivalency evaluating members identified at http://www.naces.org/members.html.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Microsoft Office experience
- Experience processing WorkDay transactions
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to relate to a wide variety of staff, employees and members of the public
- Experience in FMLA and health benefits
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to demonstrate that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Please indicate clearly any position-specific experience and ensure all education and experience sections are complete. Incomplete information may result in the disqualification of your application.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
*Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Only applicants who meet the minimum and selective qualifications for this recruitment will be considered for this opportunity. Approval of your application will be based on a review of youreducation, training and experience. It is essential that you submit complete and accurate information on your application in order to determine if you meet the qualifications as specified above. Due to the nature of this list, all qualified applicants are placed on an unranked list of candidates and will remain active on this list for at least one year.
Qualifying applicants are subject to an oral interview. Prior to appointment, the employee must successfully undergo a comprehensive background investigation including a review of criminal, MVA and tax records; and determination of legal authorization to work in the United States or under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. This background check is comprehensive and may involve fingerprinting. Upon initial appointment OR promotion to a position in the State Personnel Management System, an employee is required to serve an initial six- month probationary period. This probationary period may be extended an additional six months under certain circumstances at the discretion of the appointing authority.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country and encourage them to apply. If you are seeking veteran's preference, please submit a copy of your DD-214.
The preferred method for submitting additional information is to upload it directly into your online account. Please remove references to the first 5 digits of your SSN and your DOB on all attachments by deleting, redacting or blacking that information out with a marker. Any attachments necessary to demonstrate the minimum qualifications were met must be submitted by the filing deadline.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you choose fax or email as the option to submit your application and/or required additional information, you must include the following information on each page you submit:
- First and Last Name
- Recruitment Number (located at the top of the bulletin)
- The last 4 digits of your SS#
Fax: 410-974-5249 – This fax number is for Comptroller of Maryland recruitment efforts only.
For Further Questions
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
If you have questions about this particular recruitment, please contact the Comptroller of MD, Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: (410) 260-6622 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.