HR OFFICER II
|Department||DGS Administrative Services|
|Date Opened||8/9/2019 2:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/26/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,760 - $74,191/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is located in the Office of Human Resources for the Department of General Services (DGS), located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Main Purpose of Job
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
Recruitment & Examinations area:
• Independently conducts full lifecycle recruitment and selection activities. Duties include: working with hiring managers on assessing needs for vacant positions; reviewing and developing selection plans for approval by management; preparing job announcements; reviewing applications for minimum qualifications; and providing hiring managers with qualified candidates for interviews.
• Acts as a consultant to DGS managers and supervisors on the recruitment, selection and interview process. Maintains communication and coordination with managers for the purpose of prioritizing recruitments; maintaining position control; updating vacancy reports; and finalizing selections.
• Researches available labor pools and sources, and develops recruitment strategies to achieve DGS’ recruitment and employment goals.
• Recommends salary offers to HR management, prepares offer letters and makes job offers to selected candidates.
• Communicates with candidates throughout the stages of the recruitment and selection process to ensure they are kept updated in the process.
• Ensures selection and hiring processes are conducted legally and in compliance with all State and Federal laws and regulations.
• Utilizes the JobAps applicant tracking system to conduct recruitment activities. The incumbent will be expected to become fully proficient in the use of the system.
• Conducts job analysis when needed, test development and validation, as well as the reporting that goes along with these functions. Tasks include: job analysis; development of new examinations that may include written tests, qualification supplements, oral exams, and/or ratings of training and experience; review and revision of existing exams; administration and scoring of exams and assessments; performing analysis and interpreting results, and making recommendations for use of results; and documenting projects with written project reports when required.
• Develops recruitment strategies and performs outreach/recruitment activities to attract qualified and interested applicants to DGS positions. May attend job fairs, high school career workshops, college internship fairs, and other similar functions to represent DGS and encourage candidates to apply for positions.
Classification & Compensation area:
• Serves as a point of contact in the HR Office for classification and compensation processes.
• Provides information to managers/supervisors and employees on classification processes, answering questions as needed, and keeps all involved parties updated on open projects.
• Works with managers/supervisors to complete reclassification requests, and makes recommendations as needed on appropriate classifications.
• Utilizes job analysis skills to make recommendations to HR management on appropriate classifications for vacant and filled positions.
• Serves as a liaison with DBM’s classification & compensation unit for classification projects.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two and one half years of professional HR experience involving recruitment and employment services, classification and compensation, employee relations, test development and validation job analysis, job evaluation, salary administration, HR program evaluation, or HR policy formulation.
1. Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment and selection, classification, salary administration, employee relations, test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment procedures.
3. Thirty graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the fields of HR/personnel administration, human resources management, business administration, public administration, statistics, tests and measurements, psychology or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classifications or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
Applicants must meet the selective qualification(s) to be considered. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
1. Six months of professional HR experience involving full lifecycle recruitment functions is required.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
1. Professional HR experience with a Maryland State agency involving recruitment and examination functions is preferred.
2. Experience using the State's JobAps and Workday systems is preferred.
3. Professional HR experience involving test development and validation, and creating and administering candidate assessments is preferred.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
5. Knowledge and experience utilizing the State Personnel and Pensions Article, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Code of Maryland Regulations - Title 17, equal employment opportunity laws, and related State and Federal HR policies, rules and regulations is preferred.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional licenses and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Please call our main HR line at 410-767-4985 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|