AGRICULTURAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST ADVANCED
SALISBURY ANIMAL HEALTH LABORATORY
|Department||MDA Mktg Animal Ind & Cons Svcs - Animal Health|
|Date Opened||2/7/2020 09:40:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/24/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,971.00 - $79,996.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Mary Darling|
This position is open to all qualified applicants.
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is based in Salisbury, Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to serve as the Technical Manager for the Salisbury Animal Science Laboratory, which is responsible for supporting the Maryland Department of Agriculture's (MDA) mission to prevent and control infections diseases of livestock and poultry. The position conducts veterinary analytic and diagnostic tests; manages laboratory resources, operations and programs; represents the agency as a subject matter expert at external meetings, trainings and other events; and serves as relief and support for the Laboratory Director.
The Technical Manager oversees the work of laboratory scientists to ensure smooth operation of the laboratory, including oversight of employee use of the agency data management system; preventative and corrective actions for employees; and assisting the Laboratory Director with planning and administrative oversight of laboratory operations. The position primarily performs molecular diagnostic testing using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technology for avian viral (e.g., Avian Influenza, Newcastle Disease, Infectious Bronchitis), bacterial (e.g., Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale, Avibacterium paragalinarum) and Mycoplasma infections. Strict adherence to all applicable safety, health, biosecurity and reporting standards is required. Employees may be required to work outside of usual daytime work hours and to be available on-call. Employees are designated as essential personnel under the Maryland State Foreign Animal and Emergency Disease Response Plan. The work may involve periodic emergency duty at any time, night or day, and on weekends.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in the biological or chemical sciences from an accredited college or university including one course in general microbiology and one course in pathogenic, clinical or medical microbiology.
Experience: Three years of experience performing laboratory analysis work in a biological, chemical, food, commercial, animal health, medical or public health laboratory.
1. Experience performing veterinary analytical, diagnostic, and epidemiological laboratory testing work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. A Master’s degree in the chemical or biological sciences from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
3. A Doctorate degree in the chemical or biological sciences from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in natural resources management and biological science classification or natural resources management and biological science specialty codes in the animal science field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
1. Experience testing for animal diseases, using real time PCR, viral gene sequencing and genotyping
2. Experience performing laboratory diagnostic and analysis work by conducting tests in multiple assigned areas, such as molecular biology, virology, bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, hematology and serology.
3. Familiarity with federal regulatory tests and forms (e.g., avian influenza, Equine Infectious Anemia, Brucellosis)
4. Experience working in an ISO (International Standard Organization) accredited veterinary diagnostic laboratory
1. Candidates for some positions may be given a medical examination to rule out color blindness.
2. Employees in this classification must be willing to undergo and maintain rabies immunization.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application to: Maryland Department of Agriculture Human Resource Office, Room 304, 50 Harry S. Truman Parkway Annapolis, MD 21401. If you are submitting additional information, such as diplomas or transcripts, the preferred method is to upload them online with your application. If you are unable to upload, you may mail, hand-deliver or fax (HR Fax # 443-602-9831). All paper applications must be received by 4:30 PM on the closing date, no exceptions. (Postmarks not accepted.)
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
For questions concerning this recruitment, please contact: Mary Darling at 410-841-5847 or email@example.com
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|