Compatible Use Community Planning Liaison
|Department||MDP Local Planning Assistance|
|Date Opened||9/9/2020 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/23/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,214.00 - $85,398.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Dionne Core|
The Maryland Department of Planning (MDP) is seeking a talented, energetic, and motivated professional to join its Local Assistance and Training Division and expand its capabilities in compatible land use planning between Maryland military installations and their surrounding communities.
The federal Department of Defense’s Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) recently awarded the Maryland Department of Commerce a Maryland Compatible Use Implementation Project grant for the development of a Military Community Compatibility Website and a Maryland Planning Coordination Handbook.
This position will oversee, in partnership with a vendor developing the website and handbook, the successful fulfillment of the grant agreement’s scope of work for the website and handbook over the grant contract period.
In 2019, Maryland completed a Statewide Joint Land Use Study, one of only a few states to do so, which includes a Statewide Joint Land Use Response Implementation Strategy (SJRIS). The website and handbook are implementation measures of the SJRIS. In addition to managing these two efforts, this position will also work closely with a vendor developing a Renewable Energy Siting Map and Renewable Energy Siting Study, which is a parallel effort arising from the SJRIS.
The work program for this position presents a unique opportunity to develop one of a kind resources previously unavailable to Maryland jurisdictions and military installations, and closely collaborate with an array of stakeholders at the federal, state, local, and military installation levels. As part of the department’s Local Assistance and Training Division, this position will also work with experienced staff in advancing Maryland’s Smart Growth policies and initiatives and community development efforts, offering an unparalleled variety of projects for the proper candidate.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university that includes 30 credit hours in Planning, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, Information Technology or Urban Affairs.
Experience: Three years of experience in research and planning projects related to the development and use of land, water, transportation, community or natural resources by assisting in obtaining, analyzing and conducting research on demographic, socio-economic, political, cultural, geographic or land-use trends.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the specified educational fields for one year of the required experience.*
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of an additional Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the specified educational fields for one additional year of the required experience.*
3. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in one of the specified educational fields for two years of the required experience.*
*Two years is the maximum number of years that may be substituted by education for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect, Geospatial Intelligence Analyst or Cryptologic classifications; or Logistics, Urban Planning or Architect specialty codes in the Architect field of work, on a year-for-year basis, for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
Three years’ experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience in local government and/or providing planning and related technical assistance to government and non-government organizations. Ideally, this experience should include a variety of issues, including long range and current planning, zoning and subdivision review, and community engagement.
- Experience in military planning, military administration, or military logistics. Ideally, this experience would include interface and collaboration with planners and administrators of jurisdictions neighboring a military installation.
- Experience making public presentations and representing a department or organization on committees and other representative bodies.
- Experience managing and executing complex planning and community development projects that involve multiple stakeholders, sometimes competing interests, and the development of new communication channels
- Proficiency with office productivity software, GIS, site design, and visualization tools such as Sketch Up, Photoshop or similar.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, contact S. Hudson. For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call S.Hudson at 410-767-4910.
Emailed inquiries should reference recruitment number listed in the announcement. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the State application.
MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service needs to be provided before hire.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country and encourage them to apply. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are also encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|