Skip to Main Content

Powered by JobAps


Receptionist (Part-Time)

Recruitment #20-001374-0005


This is a part-time contractual position. 




Baltimore County Department of Health & Human Services, Family Investment Program
Towson District Office, 6401 York Rd, Baltimore, MD 21212

Main Purpose of Job

The position is responsible for providing support to the Towson District office in all Family Investment Programs. The position functions as the receptionist and greets customers, registering customers and interviewing them for screening purposes and manages all telephone systems, uploads, scans and disseminates information to various workers.


The position greets and assists customers applying for or receiving Family Investment Program assistance(in person and via telephone), in order to provide timely and accurate information and guide the customer based on their needs.  The position will scan and upload documents to ensure caseworkers have access to customer information; completes and maintains logs, and reports in order to ensure compliance with Standard Operating Procedures; registers and initiates clearances using various automated systems to verify customer information; sorts and distributes mail, schedules appointments, answers phones and types correspondence.


Education:   Completion of the eighth grade.

Experience: Six months experience performing clerical duties in an office environment.


1. Additional experience performing clerical duties may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.

2. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate may be substituted for the required experience.

3. Six months clerical training with three courses in subjects such as keyboarding, clerical math, word processing, spreadsheets, database, graphics presentation, proofreading, or office etiquette may be substituted for the required experience.

4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Administration classifications or Administrative, Clerical or Office Services specialty codes in the Clerical Support field of work on a year-for year basis for the required experience.




Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment.  It is important that you report all related education and experience that is relevant to this recruitment.  All information concerning your qualifications, including a copy of your diploma or transcripts must be provided, if selected for an interview. 

Successful candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the employment (eligible) list. The resulting list may be used for future vacancies with this agency or other state agencies.


Contractual Employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract working 30 or more hours per week may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents.  As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits.  You may also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment and life insurance, but you will be responsible to pay the full premium of these benefits.

Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period.  The leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.


Applicants must meet all minimum qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.

For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.

Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Baltimore County Department of Social Services, 6401 York Road, Drumcastle Center, Baltimore, MD 21212; Attn: Michele McFarland, 3rd Floor, Human Resources.

Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.

Application inquiries may be directed to 410-853-3985.

We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.

People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.

As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.

TTY  Users: call via Maryland Relay