NATURAL RESOURCES TECHNICIAN I
|Department||DNR - Fisheries Service|
|Date Opened||1/10/2020 1:55:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/24/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Khia Poteat|
Two Vacancies (full-time)
Contract Period(s): (10 month contract) February 17, 2020 - December 17, 2020
(6 month contract) May 13, 2020 - October 27, 2020
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Fishing & Boating Services is accepting applications to fill two seasonal/contractual Natural Resources Technician I positions. Both positions are located at the Matapeake Work Center in Stevensville, MD.
The 10-month position will support restoration projects for American and hickory shad. The successful candidate will participate in a restoration effort conducted by the Anadromous Restoration project. Primary duties will be to support biologists in all aspects of the restoration project.
Job responsibilities will include:
• Assisting biologists in electro-fishing and seine surveys
• Processing and aging shad scales
• Mounting and interpretation of shad otoliths
• Data entry
• Equipment and vehicle maintenance
The 6-month position will support the Fisheries Habitat and Ecosystem Program (FHEP).
Job responsibilities will include:
• Processing ichthyoplankton samples in the lab
• Assist with field sampling conducted from boats and on shore during summer field seasons
• Collect water quality data and assist with office duties.
Education: Completion of sixty credit hours from an accredited college or university, 18 of which are in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, forest technology, arboriculture, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study.
1. Additional experience performing technical biological work in the field of forestry, arboriculture, wildlife, aquaculture, natural resources management, or fisheries may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the biological science technician field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program (the Program), have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a temporary/contractual employee who works an average of at least 12 hours per week. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources Human Resources 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Khia Poteat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.