CORRECTIONAL OFFICER CAPTAIN
|Department||Department of Public Safety and Correctional Svcs|
|Date Opened||1/6/2021 11:59:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/27/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$57,023.00 - $84,860.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Kristen Fosque|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Manages the work of Correctional Officers through the supervision of Correctional Officer Lieutenants
Briefs subordinate supervisory staff on changes in institutional or Division of Correction policies, activities and incidents from prior shifts, and staffing and personnel changes
Makes regular inspections of the institution to ensure that security is properly maintained and policies and regulations are enforced Identifies and records officer training needs and advises superiors of additional training requirements; Calls in additional officers to cover staff shortages
Reviews reprimands and incident reports filed by Correctional Officer Lieutenants
Assists in developing master staffing schedules to ensure proper coverage and to provide for leave
Education: High School diploma or high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Two years of experience supervising the work of Correctional Officers in the custody and security of adult inmates.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
2. Candidates may substitute additional education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of sixty credit hours for one year of the required experience provided that a minimum of 15 credit hours are in the field of criminal justice or related social sciences.
3. Candidates may substitute equivalent State experience in other classifications within the correctional field which involve daily contact with and custody of inmates for the required experience. Qualifying experience must be in a classification where the salary is comparable to Correctional Officer Lieutenant.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience in correctional classifications or correctional specialty codes in the criminal justice field of work equivalent to a Correctional Officer Lieutenant on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Employees in this classification may be required to operate large vans for transportation of inmates. Employees assigned these duties will be required to acquire a Class C Maryland driver's license.
1. Employees who have not already done so must meet the selection standards required and successfully complete the training prescribed by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission for a correctional officer during their probationary period, (Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209). Selection standards for correctional officer training are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
2. Employees in this classification hired or reinstated on or after July 1, 2016 shall successfully complete the Entrance Level Firearms Training prescribed by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission (Code of Maryland 12.10.04.04 and 12.10.04.05) and demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, must provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
All persons who meet the minimum and selective qualification will be approved on the certification list and will be placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
If you are submitting additional information, the preferred method is to upload it with your application. All uploaded additional information must be received by the closing date and time. If you are unable to upload,
please fax the requested information to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, HRSD-Recruitment & Examination at 410-339-4200, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
If you are having difficulties with submitting your online application, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|