FINANCIAL COMPLIANCE AUDITOR I
|Department||DBM OPSB Division of Employee Benefits|
|Date Opened||1/16/2020 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/20/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$41,464.00 - $65,790.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cecelia Smith|
LOCATION OF POSITION
301 W. Preston Street, 5th Floor-Room 510
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this job is to perform a variety of unique and complex auditing functions for the Sate of Maryland Employee Benefits Division (EBD) under the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits (OPSB) of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). This position will be responsible for performing internal audits and pursuing recoveries identified during the eligibility verification process for claims paid under the self-insured contracts of the State's health insurance programs.
This position serves as an Internal Auditor within the Employee Benefits Division's (EBD) Fiscal Audit unit under the Maryland Department of Budget and Management (DBM). This role supports the Audit and Compliance function through participation in various Fiscal and Operation reviews to ensure the integrity, adequacy, and efficiency of activities associated with Employee Benefits.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
· Perform a series of Compliance Reviews and Claims Eligibility audit tests identifying deficiencies and material exceptions to generally accepted accounting principles and material noncompliance with applicable laws, regulations, procedures, and established vendor contract requirements.
· Evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, and recommend corrective actions to resolve areas of non-compliance associated with the oversight of the State Health Insurance Fund for Employees and Retiree Health Insurance Programs.
· Prepare audit work papers to include supporting documentation to ensure objectives have been accomplished; compliance has been met with professional governmental auditing standards; completion of draft recommendations have been submitted to upper management and correspondence has been sent to Third Party Administrators (TPAs).
· Participate in special projects as required by the Director of Employee Benefits and Assistant Director of Fiscal Services.
· Support Audit Manager in Entry & Exit Audit conferences in accordance with established Audit Plan.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with 30 credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by 3 credit hours in auditing.
Experience: One year of experience performing financial and compliance audits of a State agency, grantee, business or other entity.
1. Applicants who had met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university for one year of the required experience.
3. Applicants may substitute one year of professional accounting experience for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Internal Review classifications or Auditing specialty codes in the Financial or Auditing fields of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel
Skilled in analyzing automated and manual records, reports, and other business/financial documents; reviewing details pertinent to audit assignment
Experience with process improvement and process mapping
Experience communicating with internal and external customers
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division, 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.