Data Control Unit
|Department||Maryland State Retirement and Pension Systems|
|Date Opened||3/16/2020 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/30/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,942.00 - $74,933.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Jacqueline Wallace|
The Maryland State Retirement Agency is the administrator of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (“System”). The System is a defined benefit retirement system covering governmental employees within the State of Maryland. The System is a multi-employer, public employees’ defined benefit retirement system composed of twelve (12) separate retirement and pension systems with over 50 different rule sets. The System has over 397,000 participants (customers), including 192,000 members who are actively employed and participating in the System, 165,000 payees who receive a monthly payment from the System, and 40,000 vested members who are no longer actively employed but have earned a benefit that will become payable at a future date.
The Agency's Data Control Unit is recruiting to fill an Accountant Lead position within its Retirement File Maintenance Section. The position is responsible for the analysis and reconciliation of critical Agency database updates and postings to the Maryland Pension Administration System (MPAS).
LOCATION OF POSITION
120 East Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Main Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for the analysis and reconciliation of critical Agency database updates and postings to the Maryland Pension Administration System (MPAS) including the following:
- Processing and reconciling monthly-automated retirement payments to over 155,000 payees in excess of $250 million monthly, processing and reconciliation of automated refunds (over 8,500/year in excess of $80 million/year) issued to members, former members and their beneficiaries throughout the year. This includes preparation and reconciling of the payment voucher, verification for all disbursements above the agency-established threshold, and reconciliation to the General Ledger to ensure that all database transactions remain in balance with the Retirement Accumulation Fund (RAF).
The RAF is the fund used to pay retirement benefits to retirees and beneficiaries of the System. The Fund is comprised of twelve separate funds for each of the individual retirement/Pension systems (Teachers, Employees, State Police, etc.) administered by the Agency, and reconciliations must occur on a system-by-system basis for each Fund.
- Processing and reconciling 1099R tax reporting files used to report calendar year end distributions of active, deceased, and retired members (in excess of 170,000 payment transactions) in compliance with Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations.
Position duties include the following, but is not limited to:
- Reconcile the monthly 1099 disbursements to retirees, beneficiaries, active members, and deceased member beneficiaries.
- Assist in maintaining the integrity of MPAS database through the accurate and timely reconciliation of the automated update/maintenance jobs to the job output.
- Monthly Retirement Check Register Reconciliation
- Review of System Generated Reports.
- Prepares daily Data Processing Production Job Request Stream detailing sequence of automated jobs that are to be executed for the purpose of maintaining and updating the Agency’s Retirement and Refund Master Files.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing.
Experience: Three years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with thirty credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing, for the required education.
2. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
3. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
4. Applicants may substitute one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Accounting Officer classification or Financial Management specialty codes in the Accounting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Three or more years of demonstrated experience reconciling high volume data (at least 10,000 transactions) and high dollar volume (at least $10,000,000) reconciliations
- One or more years of experience supervising or leading staff
- Two or more years of experience working with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the minimum for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. This list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application.
Due to the confidential nature of the work, selected candidates must undergo and pass a background check.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division, 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact S. Hudson at 410-767-4910.
MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.