PROGRAM MANAGER II
Associate Director of Research and Policy
|Department||Maryland Higher Education Commission|
|Date Opened||12/22/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/6/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$60,514.00 - 78,859.00/year progressing to $97,159.00|
|HR Analyst||Cheryl Murphy|
The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) is the State of Maryland's higher education regulatory and coordinating board responsible for establishing statewide policies for Maryland public and private colleges and universities and for-profit career schools. MHEC also administers state financial aid programs that affect students on a statewide basis.
The Maryland Higher Education Commission is seeking an experienced and energetic individual to fill the position of Associate Director.
This is a Management Service position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Associate Director serves as lead worker under the Director on a number of projects, and as such, reviews the work of others, instructs and guides colleagues, and is available for immediate assistance or review of work as needed.
The Associate Director
- Conducts quantitative and qualitative research and analysis of policy-and practice-relevant statewide postsecondary education issues, including designing studies, performing data analysis, and summarizing findings for key policy and practitioner audiences.
- Manipulates, merges, cleans, and queries large data sets to produce and interpret statistical results using basic and advance statistical methodologies and statistical software.
- Provides statewide and segment data analysis and policy reports on specific issues as requested by the Governor’s Office and General Assembly.
- Writes and oversees the creation of proactive and reactive research products (dashboards, reports, briefs).
- Coordinates the annual accountability process for public colleges and universities culminating in the production of the Performance Accountability Report.
- Aids in the production of mandated reports including Best Practices and Annual Progress toward the 55% Completion Goal and the Report on Campus Climate and Sexual Violence at Maryland Colleges and Universities.
- Serves as a Commission representative or staff member on assigned task forces, workgroups, or special projects. Participates in the Data Advisory Group, an intersegmental workgroup consisting of institutional researchers from Maryland colleges and universities.
- Aids in the agency’s support and contribution to the Maryland Longitudinal Data System.
- Assists with workflow management and performs lead worker responsibilities, including guidance and oversight to analysts on work products.
Education: ·A Master’s degree in statistics, social science, public policy or a quantitatively oriented discipline or field from an accredited college or university.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Experience with population-based data sets from the federal government; preference for experience with education data sets, e.g. IPEDS, College Scorecard.
Candidates may be asked to complete a performance task that demonstrates their ability to analyze a sample data set and articulate findings.
Candidates may be asked for a writing sample.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.A without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
The evaluation may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
COVER LETTER and RESUME REQUIRED with online application and can be uploaded as an attachment under the Resume Tab of the online application. Please combine all documents together as ONE attachment (resume, degree, etc.).
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Room 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
For questions concerning this recruitment, please call 410-767-4767.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.