ACCOUNTANT SUPERVISOR I
|Department||DPSCS-Maryland Correctional Enterprises|
|Date Opened||10/6/2020 07:15:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/20/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,971.00 with potential to $79,996.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Thomasine Johnson|
When you work for Maryland Correctional Enterprise, you are not just performing a job- you are changing a life! The Maryland Correctional Enterprise (MCE) is the prison industry arm of Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS). Our goal is to teach our inmate workforce the technical
skills and work ethics needed to obtain employment after they are released. With business units
located at 10 correctional facilities across the state, we are able to provide customers with innovative, manufactured products and services at competitive pricing.
For more information, visit us online at www.mce.md.gov
This is a Special Appointment position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Prepare, review and monthly general ledger journal entries to ensure accurate representation of agency's financial position.
- Transmit and approve accounts payable disbursements to Financial Management Information System ( FMIS). Post daily cash deposit to FMIS. Verify interagency transfers entered on FMIS.
- Sign purchase orders after review of coding to ensure accurate posting to the general ledger when the invoices are paid.
- Supervises the work of fiscal employees in the accounting office operations (Payroll, Property & Fleet, Costing Accounting, and General Ledger Accounting). Serves as the primary assistant to Chief Fiscal Officer.
- Request depreciation reports
- Process monthly cash disbursement. Request preliminary financial statements for P&L meeting.
- Request final financial statements monthly.
- Prepare reconciliation of revenue and expense of general ledger vs RSTARS reporting.
- Assist in the formulation and preparation of the annual budget request.
- Timely completion of routine and miscellaneous assignments and provide coverage in departments when necessary.
- Provide guidance to Legislative Auditors.
A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing.
Four years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with thirty credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing for the required education.
2. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
3. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
4. Applicants may substitute one year of professional auditing experience for one year of accounting experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Accounting Officer classification or Financial Management specialty codes in the Accounting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
1 year of experience producing financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Experience with AS400
Experience with General Ledger Accounting
Experience with Manufacturing Accounting
Experience supervising lower level accountants or fiscal staff
Online applications are recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
ATTN: Thomasine Johnson
300 E. Joppa Road, Suite 1100
Towson, Maryland 21286
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
For more information, please call 410-339-4214.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encourage to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.