NATURAL RESOURCES BIOLOGIST V
2 positions available
|Department||DNR - Fisheries Service|
|Date Opened||6/3/2021 07:15:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/17/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$54,279.00 - $87,106.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marjorie Point Du Jour|
LOCATION OF POSITION
The West I Regional Fisheries Manager position is located in Oakland, MD (Garrett County)
The Coldwater Fisheries Manager position is located in Frostburg, MD (Allegany County)
The Department of Natural Resources, Freshwater Fisheries Program is currently accepting applications for two Natural Resources Biologist V positions. Both positions include development, implementation, and oversight of fisheries management activities and the supervision of other fisheries biologists.
West I Regional Fisheries Manager: This position functions as the Western I Regional Manager for the Freshwater Fisheries Program. The area of responsibility includes Allegany and Garrett Counties. The primary purpose of the position is to restore, protect, and enhance Maryland’s freshwater aquatic resources while maximizing recreational fishing opportunities. Duties include, but are not limited to, conducting standardized electrofishing surveys on impoundments, streams, and rivers; promoting wise use and conservation of our fisheries and aquatic habitats; developing monitoring and research projects that provide the best available science for promulgating regulations and directing management activities; maintaining public fishing access areas; and performing environmental reviews to avoid, minimize, or mitigate potential impacts to aquatic environments in Garrett and Allegany Counties.
Coldwater Fisheries Manager: This position functions as the Coldwater Fisheries manager and oversees the Statewide Brook Trout Program. This position is currently located in Frostburg, MD, though alternative work locations will be permitted. This position leads Maryland’s efforts to protect, conserve, and enhance coldwater fisheries resources. Duties include, but are not limited to, implementing the Brook Trout Fishery Management Plan; coordinating and conducting annual coldwater fishery monitoring surveys; federal grant writing and reporting; serving on multiple state and national technical committees; coordinating conservation efforts with multiple partner agencies and non-governmental organizations; and performing environmental reviews to avoid, minimize, or mitigate potential impacts to coldwater fisheries statewide.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology or physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology or a natural resources management related field of study.
Experience: Six years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management.
1. Candidates may substitute additional professional experience conducting research and analysis in the fields of biology, biochemistry, environmental science, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management or zoology on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute graduate education beyond a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study as described above at the rate of 15 graduate credit hours for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the wildlife biology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Advanced degree (Master's or Doctoral Degree) in fisheries science/fishery management or relevant work experience in fisheries science/fishery management.
• Experience in electrofishing techniques, including boat, backpack, and barge mounted designs for applications specific to fish collection and fish population survey techniques in non-tidal habitats.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Marjorie Point Du Jour at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|