State Exercise Officer
|Department||Maryland Emergency Management Agency|
|Date Opened||4/1/2021 1:35:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/23/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$24.44 - $31.72/hour|
|HR Analyst||Kristi Metzger|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
NOTE: This position operates within an on-call rotating schedule according to assignment within the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) to attend to all emergencies on a statewide 24/7 basis.
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) is the agency of State government with primary responsibility and authority for emergency preparedness policy, and for coordinating hazard mitigation, incident response, and disaster recovery. MEMA works to ensure that all Marylanders engage in preparedness activities and that the entire state is more disaster resilient. The Preparedness Branch – Training & Exercise Unit is a critical part of MEMA’s mission and the successful execution of the Agency’s Center for Preparedness Excellence.
This position reports to the Supervisor of the Training & Exercise Unit.
This position serves the State of Maryland, its State Agencies, and local jurisdictions in the following area:
• Serve as the State Exercise Officer to the Training & Exercise Unit and Preparedness Branch;
• Conduct HSEEP compliant exercises including both discussion-based and operations-based exercises;
• Supports the development and delivery of training and exercises;
• Support Preparedness Branch initiatives and projects; and
• Support regional projects, initiatives, and activities in the National Capital Region (NCR).
The position will also support Agency programs, projects, and activities related to the overall Agency mission, and may be tasked to support other duties as assigned by the Manager of the Preparedness Branch.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, this position requires strong communication, managerial, supervisory, and leadership skills, as well as strong technical and presentation skills.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the State Exercise Officer
Conduct Discussion-Based Exercises: This position will responsible for the development, planning and facilitation of discussion-based exercises including:
- Tabletop Exercises (TTX); and Games/Wargaming
Conduct Operations-Based Exercises: This position is responsible for the development, planning, and execution of operations-based exercises including:
- Enhanced TTXs;
- Functional Exercises; Full-Scale Exercises;
- Exercise Coordination
- Provide technical assistance
- Planning assistance
- Training & Exercise support
- Preparedness Branch support
- Support the Agency’s activities in the National Capital Region (NCR)
- Emergency and disaster prevention, response, and recovery operations as needed and/or assigned by agency Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Directors, or Consequence Management personnel
Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four years of experience in administrative staff or professional work.
1. Additional experience in administrative staff or professional work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of 30 semester credit hours on a year-for-year basis for the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer involving staff work related to the administration of rules, regulations, policy, procedures and processes, or overseeing or coordinating unit operations or functioning as a staff assistant to a higher ranking commissioned officer on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- 1 year of experience in designing, developing, and delivering HSEEP compliant exercises, both discussed and operations based
- Homeland Security Exercise Evaluation Program (HSEEP) Certification
- Instructor Certification (DHS, FEMA, State or equivalent)
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|