Procurement Officer I
|Department||DHS - Howard County DSS|
|Date Opened||4/1/2021 1:20:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/15/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$47,881.00 - $62,001.00 with potential growth up to $76,432.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Monique Robertson|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Howard Count Department of Social Services
Local General Administration
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, Maryland 21046
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to perform procurement duties at Howard County Department of Social Services. Employee will procure supplies through the competitive or negotiated procurement process and will also be responsible for soliciting, evaluating, negotiating and awarding contracts according to State procurement laws, procedures and regulations. Employee will be required to maintain contracts by ensuring compliance with terms and conditions. Employee may supervise administrative and/or support staff. At all times, the incumbent will provide customer service to both internal and external customs that meets or exceeds the standards set by the Department.
Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two years of experience in contract management or procurement involving duties such as : soliciting, evaluating, negotiating and awarding contracts and ensuring compliance with governmental procurement laws, regulations and conditions.
1. Candidates may substitute professional contract management experience or professional procurement experience, on a year-for-year basis, for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute certification as a Certified Public Manager from the National Association of Purchasing Management; Certified Professional Contracts Manager from the National Contract Management Association; Certified Public Purchasing Officer or Certified Professional Public Buyer from the Universal Public Purchasing Certification Council (National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, Inc. or National Association of State Purchasing Officers) for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute additional graduate education at an accredited college or university, at the rate of thirty credit hours for each year of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Contracting, Industrial Management or logistics specialist classifications or administrative support specialty codes in the procurement or financial management fields of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
1. One year of experience using the Maryland State Finance Management Information System (FMIS), Advanced Purchasing Inventory Control System (ADPICS) or similar software.
2. One year of experience writing solicitations and evaluating bids/proposals for contracts award.
3. One year of supervisory experience.
4. One year of experience working in a professional procurement office/setting.
5. One year of experience utilizing Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, and PowerPoint to prepare spreadsheets, create reports, and conduct presentations.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Employees in this classification who have not done so already must obtain and possess certification as a Procurement Professional from the Maryland Department of General Services within one year of appointment.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. You may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire. The supplemental questionnaire may be used as part of the rating process. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service is required prior to hire.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Human Services, Examination Services Unit, 311 W. Saratoga Street, Room 135, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
All mailed documents must include the applicant's name and the job number and must be received by 5 P.M. on the closing date. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please email requested information only to Monique.Robertson@maryland.gov. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
If you have any questions concerning the recruitment process for this position, please call 410-767-7416.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.