PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER I (Re-Post)
Ambassador - Public Relations Representative
|Date Opened||8/18/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/21/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Shirley Williams|
Maryland 529 is an independent, non-profit State agency responsible for administering the Maryland Senator Edward J. Kasemeyer Prepaid College Trust and the Maryland Senator Edward J. Kasemeyer College Investment Plan. Both plans are the State's only qualifying 529 plans, named after the section of the Internal Revenue Code that permits states to establish and administer tax-advantaged college savings plans. Both plans provide flexible and affordable options to help families save for future higher education expenses and reduce dependence on student loans and other forms of debt. Each plan has its own set of features and benefits, and offer Maryland taxpayers a unique tax benefit. Maryland 529 is also the administrator of the Maryland ABLE plan, which helps individuals with disabilities save money and pay for qualified disability-related expenses without jeopardizing state or federal means-tested benefits such as SSI or Medicaid.
This is a position specific recruitment for the Maryland 529 college savings plans. This recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies for this position/function only. The resulting eligible list will be maintained for one year. Persons interested in future vacancies within this classification must re-apply.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Primary duties include, but is not limited to:
· Volunteer/be assigned to conduct virtual and/or in-person presentations and events in your area
· Accurately locate the site of the presentation/event (typically a school, could also be some other type of public facility such as a government office building);
· Arrive or log into webinar system at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled event or presentation;
· Bring a sufficient supply of marketing materials for the expected number of attendees;
· Deliver information with accuracy and in an interesting manner;
· Accurately and patiently responds to all questions.
· Complete the online feedback survey (regarding the number of attendees, the nature of their questions, general interest level, etc.) within 2-5 business days of the event
· Bi-weekly submission of time sheets via SPS system
· Submit expense reports for travel to the Director of Marketing, within 30 days of the event.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with at least 30 semester credit hours in one or more of the following subjects: English, journalism, public relations, writing or other similar and related courses.
Experience: Two years experience in public information, public relations, journalism or other related experience in publicity or promotional work.
1. Additional experience as defined above may be substituted for the required college education on a year-for-year basis
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in public affairs specialist classification or public affairs specialty codes in the information and arts field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
Reliable transportation and willingness to travel to presentations and events;
Ability to work primarily in the evening and on weekends.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualification(s). Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following:
· Sufficient demonstrated financial experience to thoroughly understand and be able to clearly explain all aspects of the two college savings plans that are offered by Maryland 529;
· Strong interest in encouraging families to save for future college costs;
· Excellent presentation and communication skills;
· Demonstrated public speaking experience;
· Excellent time management skills;
· Ability to relate well with all types of people, personality styles and cultures demonstrating patience and empathy;References who can attest to the reliability of the candidate to meet scheduling commitments
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
There are two (2) part-time positions available, servicing the State of Maryland. There is one opening per county/area, and the candidates applying must be willing to work in and around the selected county/area:
- Harford County and parts of Cecil County
- Eastern Shore (Talbot, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties)
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Must have a valid driver’s license
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application (and on separate pages, if necessary) to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Resumes may not be submitted in lieu of completing the employment application. For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted with your application.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. You may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire. The supplemental questionnaire may be used as part of the rating process. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If online access is not available, you may submit a paper application, supplemental questionnaire, and supportive documents to:
Department of Budget and Management,
Recruitment and Examination Division,
301 West Preston Street, Room 608
Attention: . Christopher Langley
301 West Preston Street, Room 608 Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
Documents may also be faxed to (410) 333-7674, Attn: Chris Langley.
All mailed or faxed documents must include the applicant's name and the job number and must be received by the closing date. The paper application must be received by the closing date.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the application.If you have any questions concerning the recruitment process for this position, please call 410-767-4911or email: Chris.firstname.lastname@example.org.