Correctional Officer II Lateral
|Department||Department of Public Safety and Correctional Svcs|
|Date Opened||7/22/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/30/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,866.00 - $67,374.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Aaron Clark|
LOCATION OF POSITION
- Maintains control and discipline of inmates from security stations, while patrolling grounds and residential units and while escorting individuals or groups to work areas and other activities
- Keeps accurate head counts of inmates in the assigned security post
- Conducts inspections and searches of inmates and inmate access and work areas for drugs, weapons and other unauthorized materials
- Enforces rules of conduct, security and labor standards by issuing admonishments for minor infractions and making reports of significant violations or irregularities to superiors
- Operates manual and electronic locking systems
- Subdues and restrains inmates during fights, riots and escape attempts
- When standing an armed post, determines the need for use of firearms and uses them when necessary
- Searches for escapees and assists in their capture and return to the institution
- Visually inspects for sanitary conditions, fire and safety hazards
- Drives motor vehicles when transporting inmates, making outside security rounds, searching for escapees and related activities
- Observes inmate behavior and physical condition
- May search visitors for contraband
- May place inmates in handcuffs, restraining belts and leg irons
- May be designated as a key control, inmate property, transportation, armory or fire and safety officer
- Employees in this classification do not supervise other Correctional Officer
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. Employees who have not already done so must meet the selection standards required and successfully complete the training prescribed by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission for a correctional officer during their probationary period, (Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209). Selection standards for correctional officer training are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least two years.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application, supplemental questionnaire, correctional training transcript, and certification may be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 410-484-5928. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment.
A certification is required for these positions. A copy of your transcript from your correctional officer training must be uploaded with your application. All uploaded additional information must be received by the closing date and time. Only additional materials that are requested will be accepted for this recruitment.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, HRSD-Recruitment & Examination at 410-585-3999 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are having difficulties with submitting your online application, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.