COMPUTER NETWORK SPECIALIST II
|Department||DHS - Washington County DSS|
|Date Opened||2/11/2021 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/26/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,971.00 - $66,155.00/year with potential growth to $81,596.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cynthia McMillian|
This is a full-time position for Washington County Department of Social Services.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Local General Administration
122 N. Potomac Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Main Purpose of Job
This position performs the full level of Network Administration including work planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks to include operating systems software and network communications software. This position manages networks, develops automation infrastructure, and recommends IT operational procedures. Develops computer program training for staff on a group and individual basis. Provides technical support for agency personnel. The position has overall responsibility for hardware and software configuration for the local department network (including multiple servers) and its telecommunications, camera, and security systems. This position supports more than 239 users and 290 network workstations and peripherals, monitors daily network activity, troubleshoots multiple servers, hubs, routers, switches, and telecommunications software and hardware at two locations. At all times, the incumbent will provide customer service to both internal and external customs that meets or exceeds the standards set by the Department.
As a Network/LAN Administrator:
- Consults with users to discuss local or wide area computer network software and hardware needs, to assess existing software and hared and to survey the sites where networks will be located.
- Designs the structure of local or wide area computer networks and prepares, plans, reports, and diagrams documenting the type and location of software and hardware.
- Installs operating system software and network communication software for computer networks.
- Installs applicant software and customizes as required .
- Configures network software and hardware to provide for efficient and effective network performance and data security.
-Diagnoses network software and hardware problems and makes repairs and adjustments or obtains service from software, hardware, and maintenance vendors.
-Trains users in computer network software and hardware.
-Installs and maintains network hardware such as printers, scanners, and other networked devices .
Technical Systems and Support:
-Plans, manages and implements computer technology and equipment for more than 239 uses and 289 network workstations and peripherals, monitors, daily network activity, troubleshoots multiple services, hubs, routers, switches and telecommunications software and hardware at multiple locations.
-Network Administrator for all application computer software programs.
-Monitors and coordinates the maintenance and inventory of the serve, telephone rooms, security system and cable management.
-Provides technical support to staff
Applicant must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems, or other information technology related field, to include course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks.
Notes: 1. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator or equivalent certification program for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for a high school education: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
1. One year experience providing onsite and remote technical support.
2. One year experience preparing equipment for deployment including configuration and imagining.
3. One year experience maintain an inventory of information technology and/or non IT items.
4. One year experience installing, repairing and troubleshooting computers, laptops, printers, scanners, and/or other network equipment.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet
the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. You may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire. The supplemental questionnaire may be used as part of the rating process. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service is required prior to hire.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application and supplement questionnaire to: Department of Human Services, Examination Services Unit, 311 W. Saratoga Street, Room 137, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
All mailed documents must include the applicant's name and the job number and must be received by 5 p.m on the closing date. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please email requested information only to email@example.com. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
If you have any questions concerning this recruitment process for this position, please contact 410-767-7199.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.