COMPUTER NETWORK SPECIALIST II
|Department||DPSCS Information Technology & Communications Div|
|Date Opened||3/26/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/12/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Michael McCoy|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Allegany County: 13800 McMullen Hwy SW, Cumberland, MD 21502
Baltimore City: 6776 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD 21215
The main purpose of this position is to plan, integrate, operate and maintain the local and wide area networks, which includes Division of Parole and Probation, Maryland Parole Commission, Inmate Grievance Office and any agency that fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide support to and assist the staff of the ITCD Desktop unit. This position may also be required to perform special projects to meet departmental needs as deemed necessary by the CIO, ITCD. This position may be called upon to test and implement LAN and WAN changes.
Designs Networks and LANs
- Meets with Users to define networking requirements.
- Creates network/LAN layouts, schematics, and/or other per tenant design documents.
- Meets with Manager and/or Supervisor to discuss user requirements to ensure currency with departmental standards and/or direction.
- Meets with members of PSDC to discuss communications issues related to users network/LAN requirements.
- Generates correspondence to user detailing network/LAN plan(s), cost detail, and educational requirements for “local” user LAN administrator.
- Visits User locations to survey where LAN’s are to be installed.
System Performance Measurement
- Reviews all pertinent LAN log files to identify any process/data error conditions recorded in order to determine steps for resolution.
- Communicates with supervisor(s) on any/all performance issues/problems that occur on an ongoing and regular basis.
Resolving User Technical Issues and Problems
- Meets with user to discuss circumstances and/or symptoms of problem in order to determine proper course of action and/or to obtain resolution or impact of issue/request on current production system(s) or to determine if current system processes or procedures will accommodate user request.
- Communicates with supervisor(s) and/or manager the findings of meeting(s) with users and possible solutions or alternatives.
- If necessary, implements solutions as directed by supervisor and/or manager.
Hardware and Software Configuration
- Under the guidance of the CNS Supervisor - Installs/replaces PC hardware components to meet standard LAN hardware specifications to ensure optimum network, workstation and/or sever and/or stand alone PC performance.
- Install/replace/maintain PC software to meet LAN software specifications to ensure proper network and/or stand alone system performance.
- Discuss with user circumstances and/or symptoms of problem in order to determine proper course of action to obtain resolution.
- Verbally walk user through any actions required of the user to resolve problem.
- If necessary, will utilize Remote Service Manager software to log on to and/or access the user’s PC or system to investigate problem.
- If necessary, will go to user’s location to take corrective actions.
- Works to resolve any cross platform problems and/or issues that arise as a result of the interconnection of Ethernet to/from Token Ring networks to ensure continued and optimum system performance.
Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems, or other information technology related field, to include course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks.
Notes: 1. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator or equivalent certification program for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for a high school education: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
1. Experience providing onsite and remote technical support.
2. Experience installing, repairing and troubleshooting computers, laptops, printers, scanners, and/or other network equipment.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 410-484-5928. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment.
If you are submitting additional information, the preferred method is to upload it with your application. All uploaded additional information must be received by the closing date and time. If you are unable to upload, please email the requested information to email@example.com referencing the recruitment number in the subject line, or fax to 410-484-5928 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). Only additional materials that are requested will be accepted for this recruitment.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, HRSD-Recruitment & Examination at 410-339-4200, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
If you are having difficulties with submitting your online application, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov <Application.Help@maryland.gov> or 410-767-4850.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.