COMPUTER NETWORK SPECIALIST SUPERVISOR
|Department||DPSCS Information Technology & Communications Div|
|Date Opened||3/30/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/14/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$57,862.00 - $92,897.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Michael McCoy|
LOCATION OF POSITION
The main purpose of this position is to support the continuing operation of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) information technology systems, thereby maintaining and providing data, information, and communication services to the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, criminal justice agencies, and the public.
This position will ensure the availability of secure networking services to users twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. This includes work planning, engineering, integrating, and maintaining software and hardware for secure firewall and VPN solutions to include operating systems and firewall communications software. This is an essential position that will require 24/7 on-call availability on a rotational basis and require travel to any DPSCS locations, as needed.
Support of Checkpoint Firewall Cluster and Edge Devices
Meets with users to define networking requirements.
Creates layouts, schematics, and/or other per tenant design documents.
Meets with Manager and/or Supervisor to discuss requirements to ensure compliance with state and departmental standards and/or directions.
Creates correspondence to obtain written hardware/software vendor quotes.
Supports 300+ VPN Tunnels for DPSCS locations, outside law enforcement agencies, Federal Government agencies, and private providers for Live scans Modifies Firewall rules to allow / deny access to applications / systems. Controls VPN user access though Active Directory Application.
Support 20,000 VPN users with Login issues, general troubleshooting of VPN software.
Controls user access to such applications as HOD, METERS, VNC Access to Live scans for Vendors, EPHR, FastID, FMIS, MDIR, OCMS Remote Access, Omnixx, SSMS, Web Archive, and Webmail.
Provide technical support for other teams.
System Performance Measurement
Review Checkpoint Smart Monitor for firewall / VPN status.
Review the reports from Reporter.
Check IPS/IDS systems for anomalies and take action, if required.
Resolving Technical Issues and Problems
Meet with customers to discuss circumstances and/or symptoms of problem to determine proper course of action and/or obtain resolution or impact of issue/request on current production system(s) or to determine if current system processes or procedures will accommodate request.
Communicates with Supervisor(s) and/or managers the findings of meeting(s) with resolutions, and/or alternatives.
Communicates with the user the outcome of internal departmental discussions, resolutions, and or alternatives.
Implement solutions as directed by supervisor and/or manager.
Perform vulnerability and exploit scanning and penetration testing of servers and networking equipment for the purpose of finding exploits that can cause data loss or unauthorized network intrusions.
Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems, or other information technology related field, to include course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Three years of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks.
1. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator equivalent certification program for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for a high school education: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
Experience defining, designing, documenting, and supporting firewall cluster and edge devices.
Experience in system performance measurement and taking action on anomalies as required.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 410-484-5928. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment.
If you are submitting additional information, the preferred method is to upload it with your application. All uploaded additional information must be received by the closing date and time. If you are unable to upload, please email the requested information to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the recruitment number in the subject line, or fax to 410-484-5928 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). Only additional materials that are requested will be accepted for this recruitment.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, HRSD-Recruitment & Examination at 410-339-4200, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
If you are having difficulties with submitting your online application, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.