|Department||Maryland State Retirement and Pension Systems|
|Date Opened||9/13/2021 12:35:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/27/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,971.00 - $81,596.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cecelia Smith|
The Maryland State Retirement Agency is the administrator of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System. The System is a multi-employer, public employees’ benefit retirement system composed of twelve (12) separate retirement and pension systems with additional plan components, covering approximately 245,000 active members and more than 160,000 retires, and beneficiaries.
The Agency's Finance Division has an opening for an Accountant Advanced position.
LOCATION OF POSITION
120 East Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
This position functions as a staff accountant under the direction of the General Ledger Manager. This includes efficient and accurate maintenance of general ledgers for cash receipts and disbursements, accounts receivables and payables, and accurate determination of asset, liability, and equity accounts and annual financial reporting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following but not limited to:
- G/L Closing – Reviews and ensures that the proper posting and reconciling of the agency’s related subsidiary financial records take place in order to detail the financial position of each retirement and pension system for which the agency is responsible for maintaining.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing.
Experience: Three years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with thirty credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing for the required education.
2. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
3. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
4. Applicants may substitute one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Accounting Officer classification or Financial Management specialty codes in the Accounting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
A minimum of 3 years of experience:
- Working with multiple ledgers
- Performing monthly closings and year-end closing
- Cash reporting; cash projection and cash analysis
- ACH, EFT and bank transactions
- Working with automated ledger systems and reconciliations
- Ability to contextualize data and providing insight/solution
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
Due to the confidential nature of the work, selected candidates must undergo and pass a background check.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Online application process is STRONGLY preferred. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to:
301 W. Preston Street, Room 608, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Jesse Filamor at 410-767-4921.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.