ACCOUNTANT LEAD SPECIALIZED
Investment Administration Division
|Department||Maryland State Retirement and Pension Systems|
|Date Opened||4/16/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/14/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,971.00 - $81,596.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Jacqueline Wallace|
The Maryland State Retirement Agency is the administrator of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System. The System is a multi-employer, public employees' benefit retirement system composed of twelve (12) separate retirement and pension systems with additional plan components, covering approximately 200,000 active members and more than 150,000 retirees and beneficiaries.
The Agency is seeking a committed professional to serve as Accountant Lead Specialized in the Accounting and Operations unit of the Investment Division. The Accountant Lead Specialized position reports directly to the Investment Accounting Director and will be an active member of the Investment Accounting Unit team.
This is a position that is key to enabling a mission driven team of investment accounting professionals. The investment division team is both results driven and creative problem solvers who work together to provide a secure base of assets to pay the current and future benefits for the underlying 350,000 retirees and beneficiaries.
This position has been approved for a 6% salary increase effective July 1, 2021. The salary range demonstrated above does not reflect that increase. Candidates starting prior to July 1 will automatically receive the pay increase on that date.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland State Retirement Agency
120 E. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Main Purpose of Job
The specific duties include but are not limited to:
· Perform investment accounting for month end closing, which requires the verification and allocation of income and expenses to the Retirement Agency's participating governmental Units;
· Prepare bank reconciliations and various monthly financial statements;
· Verify daily collateralization percentages for securities on loan;
· Verify, track and create management fee and profit-sharing reports, which includes the review of Annual Financial Reports - some with currency conversions; and
· Prepare year-end reports for the Agency's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing.
Experience: Four years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles to include two years performing advanced duties in the areas of cost accounting, systems accounting, federal fund accounting, or bond and loan accounting.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with thirty credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing for the required education.
2. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
3. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required general accounting experience.
4. Applicants may substitute one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required general accounting experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Accounting Officer classification or Financial Management specialty codes in the Accounting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
Experience performing investment accounting for month end closing
Experience preparing bank reconciliations and various monthly financial statements
Experience in verifying daily collateralization percentages for securities on loan
Experience verifying, tracking, and creating management fee and profit-sharing reports, to include the review of Annual Financial Reports, some with currency conversions
Experience preparing year-end reports for a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
Experience applying Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) guidelines.
Experience with internal and external audits
Experience with accounting reconciliations and journal entries for general ledgers
Experience developing policies and procedures
Experience in alternative investment accounting and financial statements
Experience with foreign and state withholding tax regimes
Experience with implementing automated processes with advanced Microsoft Office skills (Excel, VBA, Macros, Power BI and Microsoft Access Database/SQL)
Due to confidential nature of the work, selected candidates must undergo and pass a background check.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, contact S. Hudson (contact information found below).
Emailed inquiries should reference recruitment number listed in the announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the State application.
MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service needs to be provided before hire.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country and encourage them to apply. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are also encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|