CAPITAL MAINTENANCE PROJECT ENGINEER II
|Department||DGS Facilities Planning Design & Construction|
|Date Opened||8/24/2021 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/23/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$57,862.00 - $92,897.00/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is within the Maryland Department of General Services, Office of Design, Construction & Energy, located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Main Purpose of Job
Manage projects on behalf of the MD Department of General Services' (DGS) Office of Design, Construction & Energy. Project managers will be assigned existing and new projects on behalf of the 20+ client agencies in which DGS controls the procurement. These Agency’s facilities include State hospitals, prisons, courts, parks, and office buildings. Projects are located all over the State of Maryland. Project management requires over-sight and responsibility for a project from initiation through completion. This includes developing scopes & cost estimates, managing budgets, coordinating with client agencies, managing contracts for designers and contractors, and creating procurement documentation.
Job duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Contract Approval/Construction: Prepare appropriate documentation for approval of contract in accordance with Maryland Procurement Regulations. Manage and/or coordinate project with the client agency and DGS Construction Inspection Division during construction phase to assure completion of project in accordance with specifications. Approve changes as necessary to scope of work, review and approve proposed change orders and approve any additional funding in accordance with DGS Procedures. Review and approve invoices within 3 days of receipt.
- Construction Document Design: Manage the A/E design contract to assure coordination between the A/E and the client agency to obtain a design that matches the project justification and meets the standard for the industry for construction. Evaluate and request changes as necessary on all A/E submittals. Conduct review meetings. Review/Approve estimates prepared by A/E.
- Design or A/E Selection, Negotiation and Management: Evaluate the project request submitted by the client agency facility to determine what if any professional A/E service is required. Involve the client agency throughout the selection and design process. Negotiate the A/E fees and obtain procurement approval as required. Self-specify work when possible.
- Meetings/Miscellaneous: Attend all meetings as necessary, on site, resolving issues and providing project management insight. Sites can be a 3 hour one way drive from the Baltimore Office. The Project Manager is expected to attend pre-bid and pre-construction meetings, plus regular progress meetings as needed. Construction Inspectors are assigned to regional projects to manage day to day construction over-sight.
- Procurement Actions: Prepare bidding documents incorporating the A/E construction design into the DGS procurement package. Coordinate the advertising date, the pre-bid date, and the bid date between the DGS Procurement Office, and the client agency and submit package for procurement.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two years of experience as an Engineer in the building construction, renovation or maintenance fields.
1. Candidates may substitute additional engineering experience performing maintenance or construction engineering work in facility and maintenance system work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Civil Engineer Corps classifications or Construction Engineering Technician, or Civil or Combat Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
Applicants must possess the following selective qualification(s) to be considered. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding all qualifications.
One year of the above required experience must include managing multiple projects that are running at the same time.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding all qualifications.
- Experience with government procurement functions is preferred.
- Knowledge of COMAR procurement regulations is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are strongly preferred.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees may be required to carry an electronic paging device or provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please include all experience and education that is related to this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date; information submitted after the closing date will not be considered. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week; you must include the time spent on such activities on your application.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. You may submit your transcript as part of the application process.
The examination for this position will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring authority to select employees for interviews. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – verification will be completed upon hire. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of being placed on the eligibility list, you may participate in the selection process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of being placed on an eligibility list.
Please note, selected candidates may be required to complete and successfully pass a State and Federal fingerprint background check prior to being hired.
You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dgs.maryland.gov – click on Employment on the left side of the screen. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.