HR SPECIALIST TRN
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||10/13/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/27/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$39,768.00 - $62,882.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Aimee Ringgold|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
· Conducts subject matter expert (SME) meeting to begin the recruitment process.
· Creates job requisitions, planners and announcements using the JobAps system.
· Creates training and experience exam (T&E) to annotate applications for appropriate classifications and rank of applicants.
· Reviews questions for interviews, schedule candidates, prepare interview packets, develop scoring matrix and review interview questions.
· Notifies qualified and disqualified applicants of their eligibility status.
· Verifies employment for prospective hires to include conducting all background and reference checks on candidates for hiring purposes. May travel to State agencies to perform employment file reviews. Prepares offer letters for potential new hires.
· Applies salary guidelines when necessary. Interprets and applies HR laws, regulations, policies and procedures relevant to SPMS. Provides guidance and advice to agency staff on HR matters. Maintains confidentiality of HR matters. Assists higher level HR staff in the completion of unit matters. Prepares EEO report based on information received from applicants and interviews.
· Serves as Agencies first point of contact related to employer/employee related matters and advises managers according to COMAR and SPP.
· Counsels and advises employees and supervisors on employee relations matters that arise in the workplace through the application of a variety of human resource management techniques and the appropriate personnel policies, procedures, regulations and laws.
· Conducts drug screening on a monthly basis for sensitive classifications.
· Serves as back up to Agency Benefits Coordinator. Advises employees on changes in health benefits programs during annual open-enrollment period and periodic updates. Provides employees with interpretation of and instruction on the rules, regulations, and laws pertaining to health benefit plans.
· Serves as back up Retirement Coordinator. Advises employees on the provisions of the Retirement and Pension Systems law, rules, and regulations. Coordinates with Nationwide and MSRP to organize informational meetings for employees on a periodic basis. Informs employees of the availability of education programs related to the retirement/pension programs.
· Initiate and complete all assigned HR transactions in the Workday system to include onboarding, hires, terminations, reclassifications, salary adjustments, job requisitions, hiring freezes, worker documents, complete I-9’s, supervisory organization changes and all other transactions.
· Conducts Health Benefits Open Enrollment Fair.
· Coordinates ordering of the health plan catalogs, supplies and answers questions related to same. IWIF designee- Reports all work related injuries to IWIF and follow-up with all paperwork to the Representative.
· Accepts and approves employee applications for Family Medical Leave (FMLA); informs employees of the applicable FMLA rules and regulations; monitors leave usage of employees on FMLA and advises employees of the need for additional medical documentation, etc.
· Acts as PEP liaison for tracking and submitting Performance Planning and Evaluation Reports to the Employee Relations, Chief. Responsible for annual OSHA report, weekly and monthly statistical reports as requested by the Employee Relations, Chief. Researches, compiles, analyze and evaluate personnel-related information and recommends appropriate actions to employees, management and the public.
· Serves as back up to Agency Timekeeper.
· FMLA Coordinator to include processing FMLA for employees.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
1. Candidates may substitute professional HR management work experience in the areas of recruitment, classification, salary administration, employee relations, test development and validation or as a generalist on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute paraprofessional personnel work experience on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment actions.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classification or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Two years’ experience completing HR transactions using an HRIS.
Two years’ experience completing the full cycle recruitment process.
Two years’ experience conducting investigations.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Maryland Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.