HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER II
Employee Relations Officer
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||6/11/2021 11:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/25/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$47,881.00 - $76,432.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher King|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
Proof of eligibility to work in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act and possible travel throughout the State are required. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
This is a professional position within the Office of Human Resources responsible for conducting activities associated with resolving employment issues, administering health and retirement benefits, designing and delivering training programs, overseeing the performance appraisal process & providing other employee services.
Provides assistance and advises senior management, supervisors, and employees regarding the maintenance of positive working relationships; recommends action to avoid conflict in the work-place and facilitates conflict resolution; participates in the grievance and appeal procedure and serves as the Department’s representative at proceedings; provides technical advice in the resolution of employee relations concerns; advises staff on issues regarding employee leave, timekeeping, benefits, and other employee service programs; develops and conducts training and staff development programs.
EDUCATION: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
EXPERIENCE: Two and one half years of professional HR experience involving recruitment and employment services, classification and compensation, employee relations, test development and validation job analysis, job evaluation, salary administration, HR program evaluation, or HR policy formulation.
Notes: 1. Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment and selection, classification, salary administration, employee relations, test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment procedures.
3. Thirty graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the fields of HR/personnel administration, human resources management, business administration, public administration, statistics, tests and measurements, psychology or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classifications or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
One year of experience in employee relations, conflict resolution, investigation, or mediation.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
knowledge of employment and labor laws;
knowledge of database software and Maryland’s Online Human Resources Information System (SPS - Workday);
knowledge of Microsoft Office,
skill in resolving human resources issues by applying various methodologies and deciding among several solutions; skill in communicating clearly and effectively;
skill in maintaining harmonious and effective working relationships with supervisors; coworkers, officials, and the general public;
ability to learn program content areas; ability to design and conduct orientation and training programs.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside of the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation will be required prior to hire. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
To apply for this position online go to MSDE Jobs on JobAps (or complete an MSDE Application on marylandpublicschools.org). On-line applications (and resumes) are the preferred method for receiving your application/attachments. Using this method will allow applicants to access their documents for future recruitments for which they apply and verify that the appropriate documents (resume-credentials) have been attached to the recruitment that requires them. Applicants must include their resume and provide sufficient information on the application to document that they satisfy the minimum qualifications for this recruitment. Please do not put "See Resume" in the job duties section of your application; your application will not be considered.
If you utilize fax or regular mail as the option to submit required attachments, you will need to resubmit these documents each time you apply for a new position that requires the attachments. Additionally, you must include the following information on each page of the attachment you submit in order to ensure that we append the attachments to the correct recruitment: First and Last Name, Recruitment Number, and the last 4 digits of your SS# and indicate application for - Human Resources Officer II - Employee Relations Officer, position number 067234 , JobAps# 21-004916-0017. Mailing Address: Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Human Resources, 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. Fax: 410-333-8950 – This fax number is for Department of Education recruitment actions only.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. For inquiries or an MSDE Application, contact 410-767-0019 or TTY/TDD 410-333-3045 or visit our website at http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities available upon request.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|