Treasury Specialist VII
TORT CLAIMS LITIGATION MANAGER
|Department||Treasury Insurance Management|
|Date Opened||4/16/2021 5:50:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/23/2021 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$65,857.00 - $105,735.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Michele Reid|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Insurance Division of the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office is responsible for administering the State's Insurance Program which is comprised of both commercial and self-insurance. Commercial insurance policies are procured to cover catastrophic property and liability losses, and other obligations derived from State contracts, statutes and regulations. Among the several exposures covered by commercial policies are State maintained toll bridges and tunnels, rail operations, assorted professional liability exposures and student athlete accidents. The State also self-insures a significant portion of its exposures and maintains the State Insurance Trust Fund to pay claims and the costs associated with handling those claims. Self-insurance coverage includes State-owned real and personal property, vehicles, and liability claims covered under the Maryland Tort Claims Act.
As the claim specialist, the Litigation Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive claim management plan for all tort claims in litigation. The current pending fluctuates between 125 – 150 claim files. Many claims end up being resolved through litigation. The Litigation Manager works closely with attorneys in the Office of the Attorney General who serve the Treasurer, to proactively resolve these matters by investigating, evaluating and preparing large loss reports, when relevant on claims and cases, providing settlement authority or when necessary, by briefing the Insurance Review Committee on high dollar value settlements, and by attending settlement conferences and other court mandated activities. The Litigation Manager also works closely with claims adjusters within the department to provide feedback on investigations. As a claim specialist, the Litigation Manager may also brief adjusters on the status of certain litigation claims of high or sensitive interest as a teaching mechanism. The Litigation Manager will also be responsible for reviewing and advising the Chief Deputy Treasurer, the Director of Insurance and Deputy Director of Insurance on indicated settlements pending before the Board of Public works.
- Develop litigation plans to proactively manage claims and settlement authority of cases
- Maintains and manages all assigned litigation files on a diary system
- Attends depositions, mediations, arbitrations, settlement conferences, trials, appellate arguments and other scheduled matters on cases in litigation
- Provides input to the Assistant Attorneys General regarding strategy
- Initiates and conducts settlement negotiations within authority
- Tracks status of high-dollar value, complex liability and other sensitive claims and updates management
- Ensures integrity of all Insurance Division litigation data
- Prepares reports as required and/or requested
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Experience (minimum of 5 years) working multi-line property & casualty and commercial liability insurance claims.
- Experience supervising insurance litigation and the handling (adjusting) and oversight of complex and litigated claims.
- Working knowledge of tort law, claim values and jurisdictional issues for Maryland
- Excellent oral & written communication skills and analytical & problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer skills including Office 365 (Access, Excel & Word) & SharePoint.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
This is a full-time, at-will Management Service position with State employment benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick/personal days, medical and dental plans, pension plan, supplemental retirement plans, employee credit union, and direct deposit.
All candidates will be subject to a background investigation, to include credit and criminal history. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all experience and education that is related to this position. General questions may be directed to the STO Personnel Office at 410-260-7078.
Job opportunities within the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office are accessible through JobAps, the Statewide Recruitment, Examination and Applicant tracking system. Go to www.jobaps.com/md to apply. By using the “Department” filter and highlighting “Office of the Treasurer,” you can view all active recruitments within our agency. First time users can register for an account by selecting a position to apply for, choosing “I am a new user” at the bottom, then keying in the necessary fields. Electronic applications are highly encouraged. Paper applications can be mailed to 80 Calvert Street, Human Resources, Room 109, Annapolis, MD 21401, or faxed to 410-260-4090.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
TTY: Call MD Relay