Sr. Portfolio Manager II MSRP
|Department||Maryland State Retirement and Pension Systems|
|Date Opened||11/2/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/3/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$133,832.00 - $200,749.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Jacqueline Wallace|
The Maryland State Retirement Agency is the administrator of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System. The System is a multi-employer, public employees’ benefit retirement system composed of twelve (12) separate retirement and pension systems with additional plan components, covering approximately 245,000 active members and more than 160,000 retires and beneficiaries.
The Agency is seeking a committed investment professional to serve as a Senior Portfolio Manager in the Investment Division. The Senior Portfolio Manager will report directly to the Managing Director of Public Equity and be an active member of the Investment Division. This individual will work collaboratively with the Public Equity team and assist in the internal management of assets with expectations of building quantitative internal portfolios, evaluating, recommending, monitoring, and reporting of portfolio investments.
The Agency’s Investment team is both results driven and creative problem solvers who work together to manage a global multi-asset portfolio and to provide a secure base of assets to pay the current and future benefits for the underlying retirees and beneficiaries. The Investment Division is committed to providing a comprehensive work environment that will give the investment team members a complete understanding of the institutional investment process and to provide a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces both analytical and creative thinkers.
This position serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
120 East Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Main Purpose of Job
· Work collaboratively with the Managing Director to support the overall investment program and actively participate in the internal management initiative;
· Develop and manage quantitative public equity portfolios opportunistically in one or more of the US, International, and Emerging markets;
· Actively source investment opportunities and lead the due diligence and investment recommendation process;
· Maintain comprehensive understanding of financial mathematics and portfolio concepts;
· Responsible for market analysis within assigned asset class for the purpose of recommending tactical positioning in a goal to add value over a benchmark;
· Lead the research, development, and conceptualization of quantitative models involving data collection, coding and modelling;
· Perform attribution and exposure analysis; track and model investment performance; assist with due diligence on new investments; assist with tactical asset allocation;
· Assist the Managing Director in preparing presentation materials for Investment Division staff or for Investment Committee meetings; manage business relationships;
· Assist in the development of analysts, associates, and interns; assist in the maintenance of records related to investments; and contribute to all Public Equity team objectives as assigned or as needed;
· Participate in special projects and pension wide initiatives as assigned.
Education: Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college in Math, Science, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or similar fields of study.
Experience: Five years of professional investment experience in managing quantitative public equity portfolios. Development and hands on work for an existing equity portfolio product including research, development, implementation, and maintenance.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to candidates with:
· Highly self-motivated and detail-oriented skillset;
· Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment; demonstrating ability to execute, follow through while being open to receive and incorporate constructive feedback;
· Demonstrated history of quantitative signal research, organization, development and management of portfolios;
· Demonstrated track record of managing investment portfolios which deliver excess returns;
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
· Demonstrate a history of developing successful quantitative models, preferably involving forecasting on mid-to-long term time horizons;
· Ability to program analytic languages (R, Python, etc.) and work with databases;
· Expert level skills in Bloomberg including AIM, BQUANT, and PORT;
· Strong skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint;
· A CFA designation and/or a graduate degree in Math, Science, Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration or similar field of study;
· At least seven (7) years of professional experience managing and trading quantitative portfolios of public equity investment.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the minimum for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. This list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application.
Due to the confidential nature of the work, selected candidates must undergo and pass a background check.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. You may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire. The supplemental questionnaire may be used as part of the rating process. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application to:
DBM/Recruitment & Examination Division
301 West Preston Street, Room 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
Please include a cover letter and resume. All mailed documents must include the applicant's name and the job number and must be received by the closing date. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you have any questions concerning the recruitment process for this position, please call 410-767-6352.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.