Director of Educator Certification & Federal & State Reporting
Education Program Manager II
|Department||MSDE - Division of Certification and Accreditation|
|Date Opened||9/29/2021 11:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/24/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$80,875.00 - $132,452.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Daniel Otakie|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 24
Salary Range $80,074 - $104,251 (with progression to $128,568)
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
This position serves as the Director of the offices of Educator Certification and Educator Assessment & Federal/State Reporting and is responsible for working under the direction of the Assistant State Superintendent for Educator Certification and Program Approval. The Director will provide direct supervision to a staff of seven (7) and is responsible for the regulatory and statutory oversight of educator certification, educator assessment, and federal and state reporting.
- Directs and manages the interpretation and implementation of laws, regulations, policies, and procedures governing educator preparation and certification;
- Develops new and revises existing regulations as required by the Professional Standards and Teacher Education Board and Maryland State Board of Education;
- Directs and manages the Educator Information System, which is the technology used for processing and maintaining the certification information for educators in the State of Maryland; oversees the disciplinary action process of certificate holders in Maryland;
- Manages and supervises staff assigned to the Unit, conducting performance appraisals and working with the Office of Human Resources in the recruitment and hiring of new staff, as well as other required personnel.
EDUCATION: Possession of a Master’s degree or equivalent 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work.
EXPERIENCE: Six years of related experience in coordinating or administering education programs or services including experience working with the interpretation and implementation of laws, regulations, policies, and procedures governing educator preparation and certification.
- Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience, directly related to the position option for the required education.
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the position option for one year of the required experience.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education, one year of which must have been in an administrative supervisory or consultative capacity.
One year of experience working with the interpretation and implementation of laws, regulations, policies, and procedures governing educator preparation and certification.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting education programs;
- Skill in the use of standard office software;
- Skill in leading internal and external interdisciplinary work teams in developing education goals and standards;
- Ability to manage and supervise staff assigned to the Unit; ability to analyze, identify, prioritize, and make recommendations to the Assistant State Superintendent, Branch Chiefs and Education Specialists constituent requests, correspondence, phone inquiries, workflow and interoffice requests;
- Ability to develop initial draft responses for the Assistant State Superintendent regarding routine correspondence;
- Ability to make recommendations regarding educator certification, disciplinary action, and federal and state reporting.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside of the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation will be required prior to hire. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Proof of eligibility to work in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act and possible travel throughout the State are required. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
To apply for this position online go to MSDE Jobs on JobAps (or complete an MSDE Application on marylandpublicschools.org). On-line applications (and resumes) are the preferred method for receiving your application/attachments. Using this method will allow applicants to access their documents for future recruitments for which they apply and verify that the appropriate documents (resume-credentials) have been attached to the recruitment that requires them. Applicants must include their resume and provide sufficient information on the application to document that they satisfy the minimum qualifications for this recruitment. Please do not put "See Resume" in the job duties section of your application; your application will not be considered.
If you utilize fax or regular mail as the option to submit required attachments, you will need to resubmit these documents each time you apply for a new position that requires the attachments. Additionally, you must include the following information on each page of the attachment you submit in order to ensure that we append the attachments to the correct recruitment: First and Last Name, Recruitment Number, and the last 4 digits of your SS# and indicate application for - Education Program Manager II, Director of Educator Certification and Federal and State Reporting position #039734 (JobAps #21-005059-0006) Mailing Address: Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Human Resources, 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. Fax: 410-333-8950 - This fax number is for Department of Education recruitment actions only.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. For inquiries or an MSDE Application, contact 410-767-0019 or TTY/TDD 410-333-3045 or visit our website at http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.