Deputy Director of Media Relations
Administrative Program Manager IV
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||8/16/2022 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/27/2023 10:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$103,421 - $127,637/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher King|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
Main Purpose of Job
- Advises and coordinates the Department’s proactive media relations strategy to promote MSDE's strategic plan and Blueprint for Maryland's future initiatives, mission, values, schools, workforce and communities.
- Responds to the Department’s media inquiries and coordinate interviews for the Superintendent, Executive leadership, program directors, and others authorized to speak on behalf of the department, research responses to media inquiries; draft and edit press releases, talking points, letters to the editor, and other written materials as needed
- Coordinates and conducts press conferences
- Serves as agency spokesperson, responding directly to interview requests and providing statements on behalf of the Department
- Develops and maintains relationships with media partners and influencers
- Conducts media training and prepares interview participants
- Drafts and reviews departmental press releases, reports, letters, talking points, scripts for video, podcasts, etc., as needed
- Supervises Public Relations Specialist and Public Information Act Coordinator
- Oversees social media platforms, ensuring quality work and timely deliverables
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of public information, media relations concepts, communication, and marketing principles;
- Knowledge of education and school reform initiatives;
- Skill in developing written, oral and public communications using a variety of computer software;
- Skill in researching information and constructing presentations of information in a clear and concise format;
- Ability to write quickly effectively, and accurately in a variety of writing styles;
- Ability to establish harmonious and productive relationships with the media and publishers;