PROGRAM MANAGER IV
Planning and Budget Analyst
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||9/13/2021 11:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/19/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$70,280.00 - $112,848.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher Langley|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Prepares monthly, interim, and on-demand financial reports and analysis and assists as needed to provide extensive, thorough, and accurate customer service and technical support to department stakeholders
- Participates in the preparation and development of MSDE’s annual operating budget plan and divisional exercises (i.e., zero-based budgeting; State Superintendent of Schools strategic plan performance routine sessions; etc.) and participates in the preparation and development of responses to legislative and other state agency requests
- Supports ongoing budget execution processes across MSDE to ensure budget spending in alignment with the department’s multiyear strategic plan priorities and Blueprint for Maryland’s Future initiatives spending plans
- Coordinates best practice guidance training, manuals, updates, and resources to budget staff across teams
- Supports the State Superintendent of Schools, Deputy Superintendent of Finance and Administration, and Assistant Superintendent of Financial Planning, Operations, and Strategy in the development and dissemination of communication to internal and external stakeholders in the form of presentations, memos, and reporting to support MSDE budget and related initiatives
- Implements department-wide budget database to support MSDE’s annual budget execution as well as continuous improvements to budget data systems
- Conducts data analysis and financial reporting related to internal research to inform resource allocation, ESSA, and other federal requirements, transparency initiatives, and public information requests
- Uses data and information from various systems and sources to diagnose budget-related challenges, recommend potential solutions, and implement solutions with cross-functional stakeholders
- Participates in the legislative fiscal note process. Review bill analyses, ensure timely submission of fiscal notes, assist with the review and analysis of cost estimates and fiscal notes for proposed legislation
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working in the areas of State government, such as education financing and administration, debt management, transportation, retirement systems and pensions, health benefits, community development;
- Experience in financial planning, budgeting, and policy analysis;
- Knowledge of performance budgeting concepts;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience in writing reports and making presentations on budget recommendations to senior departmental management and other executive branch officials;
- Strong analytical abilities, including understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts;
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets and database software;
- Ability to work independently, in teams and under pressure;
- Availability to work extended hours as required to meet budget deadlines.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division, 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|