Associate Commissioner, Market Regulations
|Department||Maryland Insurance Administration|
|Date Opened||11/8/2021 09:35:00 AM|
|Salary||$111,246.00 - $137,260.00/year (Salary Guidelines Apply to State Employees)|
|HR Analyst||Tracey Dailey|
The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) is an independent State agency that regulates Maryland’s insurance industry and protects consumers by monitoring and enforcing insurers’ and insurance professionals’ compliance with State law. Through the diligence of a highly professional staff of market analysts, financial analysts, accountants, lawyers, law enforcement officers, actuaries, complaint investigators, and others, the MIA works to facilitate a strong and competitive insurance marketplace where consumers are well informed and treated fairly. Staff members are subject matter experts who serve as a resource for lawmakers, consumers, and other public and private entities.
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) is recruiting for the position of Associate Commissioner, Market Regulation Division. This position reports directly to the Maryland Insurance Commissioner and serves as one of the MIA’s senior staff subject matter experts on issues concerning the oversight of domestic and foreign insurance companies and other entities regulated by the Maryland Insurance Administration. The Associate Commissioner directs the day-to-day operations of the Market Regulation Division and oversees the market conduct, market analysis and title functions and meets regularly with the Insurance Commissioner to review both property and casualty and life and health regulatory issues identified through market conduct examinations and investigations. The incumbent may be required to travel in-state and out-of-state to meet with various stakeholders, senior personnel at the offices of insurance companies, other MIA-regulated entities, consumers, and legislators.
- Establish work priorities of the Market Regulation Division with the Insurance Commissioner, based on statutory requirements, market trends, consumer complaints, and other relevant factors.
- Oversee the continuous improvement and modernization of market oversight techniques, tools and capabilities.
- Provide direction to in-house and contracted staff conducting comprehensive and targeted market conduct examinations and other market actions.
- Coordinate with other MIA senior staff to ensure thorough and consistent regulatory action and minimize duplication of efforts.
- Serve as a member of the Insurance Commissioner's senior staff and provide advice in matters pertaining to industry compliance with regulation and laws.
- Represent the Administration and the Insurance Commissioner or serve as a member on NAIC committees, task forces, and/or working groups.
- Represent the Administration and Insurance Commissioner and provide testimony at legislative hearings.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Law Degree, Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration, or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Maryland insurance laws and regulations.
- Experience overseeing the analysis of complex sets of data to identify market trends, and business or management deficiencies.
- Prior experience as a senior level manager of an insurance company or insurance regulatory agency.
- Prior investigatory experience or experience performing examinations of regulated entities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
If you have any questions concerning this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|