STAFF SPECIALIST IV, HIGHER EDUCATION
Associate Director, Private Career Schools & Workforce Education
|Department||Maryland Higher Education Commission|
|Date Opened||11/22/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/6/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$69,672 - $90,859 with progression to $112,091|
|HR Analyst||Cheryl Murphy|
The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC), is seeking an experienced and energetic individual to fill the position of Staff Specialist I in their Private Career Schools and Workforce Education Unit..
This is an Internal recruitment
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy Grasmick Education Building, 6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
Main Purpose of Job
The Associate Director for Private Career Schools is a member of the management team for the Department of Academic Affairs at the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC). The position provides management services for the coordination and regulation of postsecondary education in the State of Maryland, and is responsible for the planning, organization, and supervision of all work within the Private Career Schools and Workforce Education unit. More specifically, the Associate Director is responsible for:
- Directing and overseeing the operations for MHEC’s private career school approval process to ensure timely production and a well-coordinated workflow.
- Reviewing new private career school proposals in accordance with Maryland statute and regulations, and issuing recommendations based on qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Supporting various workforce development initiatives at the directive of the Governor, General Assembly, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, or other agencies.
- Participating in initiatives to align postsecondary programs with Maryland’s economic and workforce needs.
- Assisting in the development, implementation, and ongoing management all State statutes, regulations, and policies related to private career schools and workforce education in Maryland.
- Initiating contacts and maintaining ongoing relationships with private career school operators and continuing education officers from across the State.
- Providing oversight and management of the Guaranty Student Tuition Fund and assisting students impacted by precipitous school closures.
- Supervising three full-time professional staff members.
- Representing MHEC on external committees and workgroups.
- Completing special projects at the request of the Director of Academic Affairs, Assistant Secretary of Academic Affairs, and Secretary of Higher Education.
Education: A Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of administrative or teaching experience in post-secondary education programs.
Note: Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience in post-secondary education for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- The successful candidate will be an experienced leader in the application of statutory and regulatory requirements with specific experience in private career schools, workforce development, continuing education, and/or a related postsecondary professional setting.
- Candidates should have excellent oral and written communication skills, research and analytical abilities, and experience supervising professional staff.
- Additionally, applicants should have experience managing complex projects with fixed deadlines, working collaboratively as part of a team, and leading interagency committees and work groups.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston Street, Room 608
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
As an equal opportunity employer,
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.