COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATOR I *FULL-TIME CONTRACTUAL*
Tobacco & Chronic Disease Prevention Educator *BILINGUAL*
|Department||MDH Local Health - Howard County|
|Date Opened||10/3/2022 3:20:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/17/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$20.76 to $24.88/Hour|
|HR Analyst||Jennifer Bui|
LOCATION OF POSITION
8930 Stanford Blvd.
Columbia, MD 21045
Main Purpose of Job
This position is eligible for hybrid telework.
- Complete trainings on evidence-based and community-based education programs that focus on tobacco prevention and chronic disease/diabetes self-management in order to facilitate in-person education sessions.
- Assist community engagement team with implementing educational sessions about chronic disease and tobacco, including developing promotional materials, recruiting participants, identifying locations, coordinating with partners, facilitating sessions, and tracking results as directed by supervisor.
- Assist community engagement team with developing and translating educational brochures, filers, posters, and digital materials in Spanish. Ensure that the materials linguistically and culturally appropriate for Howard County residents.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Health Education, Community Health Education or Health Science.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 18 credit hours in Public Health Education, Community Health Education, Health Science or related behavioral science and one year of experience in planning, developing, implementing and promoting health education projects for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Health Educator and Community Health classifications or Health Educator and Community Health specialty codes in the Public Health field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview).
Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.