NATURAL RESOURCES BIOLOGIST IV
Aquaculture Field Operations Compliance Coordinator
|Department||DNR - Fisheries Service|
|Date Opened||11/21/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/5/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$57,467.00 - $92,290.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Courtney Blackistone|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position will require statewide travel. The main office is located at 580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis, MD 21401
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to coordinate and conduct certain activities for the Field Operations Program within the Aquaculture and Industry Enhancement Division. These duties include planning and conducting shellfish lease, shellfish nursery permit, and aquaculture permit facility inspections and coordinating associated compliance outreach and follow-up, conducting biological surveys of oyster and Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV) populations on existing and proposed lease areas, coordinating and supervising shellfish relays, reviewing aquaculture permit applications and providing industry support. This job relates to the mission of DNR by working to restore a living resources in the Bay, promoting the growth of the Aquaculture Industry in Maryland and promoting public health and safety.
The Department of Natural Resources, Fishing and Boating Services Unit in Annapolis, Maryland, is currently accepting applications for a Natural Resources Biologist IV. The main purpose of this position is to coordinate and conduct certain activities for the Field Operations Program within the Aquaculture and Industry Enhancement Division. These duties include planning and conducting shellfish lease and permit facility inspections and coordinating associated compliance outreach, conducting biological surveys of oyster and Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV) populations on existing and proposed lease areas, coordinating and supervising shellfish relays, reviewing aquaculture permit applications and providing industry support. Candidates must be willing to work long and flexible hours and be comfortable working aboard boats and in the field in various weather conditions.
Experience: Four years of professional experience conducting research and analysis in the fields of biology, biochemistry, environmental science, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management or zoology and five years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology or physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study from an accredited college or university and five years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management for the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute graduate education beyond a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study as described above at the rate of 15 graduate credit hours for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the wildlife biology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Working knowledge of aquaculture practices in use in the Mid-Atlantic region
- Experience in conducting regulatory compliance inspections and biological surveys
- Experience using ArcGIS and Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience maintaining, trailering and operating a small boat
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your minimum qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education related to this position completely and accurately.
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Courtney Blackistone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.