DJS YOUTH CENTER COOK I
|Department||DJS Victor Cullen|
|Date Opened||3/22/2022 09:02:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/23/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$35,560.00 - $56,949.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Jakiraman Jones|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Victor Cullen Center
Main Purpose of Job
- Preparation of food requiring the use of both simple and complex standardized recipes for a quantity food service operation. Adherence to food safety / sanitation practice according to HACCP- based standard operating procedures. Ready available to work unscheduled times and overtime due to staff shortages and emergencies.
- Delivery of prepared food to the food service line. Checks tray line periodically to keep service line supplied with food.
- Maintenance of kitchen and work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Requisitions and assembles food items daily as needed to prepare recipe for menu items. Uses FIFO procedures for requisition of food. Measures or weighs food as needed to follow standardized recipes.
- Stores vendor delivered food and prepared menu items appropriately monitoring refrigerated items (time and temperature) according to HACCP- based standard operating procedures. Labels and dates all cold storage items.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: One year of experience cooking, baking or preparing large quantities of food in a restaurant, institutional or military setting. Experience in a fast-food restaurant or as a short-order cook does not qualify.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209, Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Food Services classifications or Food Services specialty codes in the Equipment, Facilities and Services field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Three years of experience in the preparation of food involving the cooking of meats and vegetables and the preparation of salads and beverages in an institutional setting such as hospitals, nursing homes, universities or correctional facilities.
- Possession of a ServSafe Certification.
- One (1) year experience in the Federal Child Nutrition Program.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification must obtain certification by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. In accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code of Maryland, the Maryland Correctional Training Commission shall establish the minimum qualifications for probationary or permanent appointment of a Department of Juvenile Services employee. These requirements are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.10.01.04, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission, and include:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
A thorough background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing
An oral interview, and
Physical and psychological examinations.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to call 24 hours a day and, therefore, may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09 – Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Qualifications will be placed on the eligible list categorized as QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED OR BEST QUALIFIED. Candidates shall be certified to the eligible list for a period of one year. This list will be used by the DJS hiring agency to select employees.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be evaluated. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application (and on separate pages, if necessary) to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Online application process is strongly urged. However, if you are unable to apply on line you may mail a paper application to the address below or fax a paper application to the fax number below. If you choose to fax or use regular mail, you must include on each page of the attachment your First and Last Name, the Recruitment Number that is located at the top of the bulletin and the last 4 digits of your SS#. The paper application must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for this recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted. Incorrect application forms will not be accepted:
Maryland Department of Juvenile Services
OHR-Recruitment & Examination Unit
217 E Redwood Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Attn: Jakiraman Jones
Fax number 410-333-4188
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
The resulting Certified Eligible List for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please contact DJS Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org Include the Recruitment Title/Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.
Bilingual applicants are welcome to apply for all recruitments.
DJS values the experience gained by Veterans while serving our country. Veterans are welcome to apply for all current recruitments.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.