CORRECTIONAL MAINTENANCE OFFICER I Plumbing
|Department||DPSCS-Jessup Correctional Institution|
|Date Opened||3/16/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/12/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,866.00 - $67,374.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Trisha Hunter|
If you are looking for an exciting career with great benefits, pension, generous leave, competitive salary, and the opportunity for advancement and professional growth, apply to join the DPSCS team today!
The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) is seeking dedicated candidates to fill important roles within our department. We are one of the largest departments in Maryland with nearly 12,000 employees and a budget of more than $1 billion. In order to fulfill our mission of promoting safety, we have increased security at our institutions while leading the way in innovative restorative justice projects that will help offenders reintegrate into society upon release.
As a member of the DPSCS team, you can have a fulfilling career, while also enjoying a wide range of benefits such as medical and dental coverage, paid time off (i.e. vacation, sick leave), becoming vested in the State pension, supplemental retirement options, and even joining the Maryland State Employees Credit Union.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Inmate Supervision: Maintains control and discipline among inmate workers; conducts searches for contraband items; administers verbal or written disciplinary actions to inmates for any violations of conduct standards. Enforces safety, sanitary, custody and security rules and regulations. Physically restrains inmates if necessary during fights or escape attempts. Maintains continual count of inmates assigned to work details supervised. Assigns installation maintenance or repair tasks to designated inmates performing at various levels of proficiency in the trade. Train and instructs inmates regarding methods and techniques, use of tools and equipment, and proper care of tools and equipment. Inspects and approves/disapproves all work performed by inmates for adherence to quality standards.
Administrative related functions: Estimates time, materials and supplies needed to conduct assigned maintenance or repair tasks. Orders supplies and materials needed. Keeps records of supplies and materials used; inventories materials on hand tools in use.
Performance of Trade – related functions: Personally performs certain installation, maintenance or repair tasks on plumbing infrastructure. Plans and implements appropriate procedures, operates hand and power tools and equipment needed; maintains record of time, supplies and materials required. Escorts third party vendors and inspect completed work assignment.
Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Two years of plumbing experience.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209, Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience in correctional institutional specialty codes in the criminal justice field of work at a rate of two years of military experience for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland prior to permanent appointment.
2. Some positions in this classification may require employees to acquire the appropriate Maryland driver’s license to operate motor vehicles for the transportation of inmates or supplies.
3. Employees who have not already done so must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period
1. Selection standards for Correctional Officer certification are established by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
2. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, must provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-379-3169
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|