IT SYSTEMS TECHNICAL SPECIALIST *REPOST*
|Department||MD Institute for Emergency Medical Svcs Systems|
|Date Opened||1/19/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/2/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$58,441.00 - $95,703.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Loni Young|
LOCATION OF POSITION
- Coordinates activities of IT and Communications system technical staff, IT and Communications contractors, and other related support staff. Acts as a local technical resource for EMS Technician staff in Baltimore but has statewide responsibilities
- Provides field support for Public Safety and Emergency Communications and Interoperability over the statewide Public Safety and Emergency Communications IP network. Includes installation and configuration of equipment at remote locations throughout the state as well as some locations outside the state
- Prepares, plans, reports, and diagrams documenting the type and location of IT and Communications system software and hardware
- Monitors the use and utilization of a statewide Public Safety and Emergency Communications IP network in order to determine advances and changes necessary to achieve optimum communications quality and capability
- Responds to communications and network services trouble alarms, interruptions and outages. Response includes remote access via network resources or physical response to the site to correct problems
- Advises management in matters related to Public Safety and Emergency data and voice communications to maintain efficient and effective information support functions by recommending solutions or alternatives to problems, new projects and changes in objectives in consideration of factors such as availability of resources, cost effectiveness and overall program policies and objectives
- Performs in-depth analysis of various information technology alternatives to include consideration of technical matters, costs and compatibility with existing hardware or software, and prepares related narrative reports and technical documents
- Develops standards for inter-connectivity of Public Safety and Emergency communications systems
- Provides expert technical advice and guidance to information technology staff such as programmers, systems analysts, operators, technical support specialist, network specialist, data base specialist, vendors and supervisory personnel and to departmental management regarding future directions, customization, software or hardware enhancements and software or hardware purchase recommendations for critical network communications systems
- Trains Communications and IT staff and contractors on use and configuration of data networking equipment and systems
- Keeps abreast of the state-of-the art in Public Safety and Emergency data and voice communications over IP networks by reviewing technical journals, attending technical classes, conferences and user groups and maintaining regular communication with hardware and software vendors
- This position will perform facility surveys in conjunction with planned PSInet expansion as well as unplanned network changes required by customer facility needs
- Writing and modifying; Cisco switches configurations, Cisco router configurations, Cisco Firewall configurations and, and Cisco wireless device configuration
- Daily monitoring and troubleshooting network performance, maintenance issues and network failures utilizing various available network tools such as WhatsUpGold, Cisco administration tools and TMon Grafx
Experience: Four years of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining application, communication, database or operating systems software.
1. Candidates may substitute graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and thirty credit hours from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Technology, Management Information Systems or other information technology-related field to include coursework in application, communication, database or operating systems software technology for one year of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute experience operating computer systems; or scheduling, controlling input and output to process data on computer systems; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software; or converting data from project specifications by developing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages on a year- for-year basis for a high school education.
3. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems or other information technology-related field to include coursework in application, communication, database or operating systems software technology and three years of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining application, communication, database or operating systems software for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Computer Systems Operations classifications or Computer Systems Operations specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division, 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.