Fiscal Services Administrator V
|Department||MD State Department of Education|
|Date Opened||11/29/2022 08:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/5/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$102,284.00 - $136,233.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Holly Winchester|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 23
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
This position serves as the Director of the MSDE Office of the Budget, coordinating the budget development process and maintaining the annual budget for the Maryland State Department of Education. As part of budget maintenance, this position leads the Department’s federal indirect cost proposals, the development of Over the Target Requests, and the Budget Amendment and Supplemental Budget processes.
The Budget Director will also supervise the Department’s budget operation staff member and/or a budget team member. The Department’s budget exceeds $8 billion annually, includes more than 40 budgetary programs, and involves General, Federal, Special and Reimbursable fund sources. These responsibilities require knowledge of the State Financial Management Information System (FMIS), Cognos reporting, Workday State Personnel System, Budget Analysis Reporting System (BARS), fund accounting, budget principles, and state government operations.
- Leads the development and maintenance of budget Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and conducts training for MSDE staff on budget processes.
- Manages the fund control to assure that each fund is budgeted at control levels.
- Assures the budget is prepared in accordance with instructions promulgated by the Maryland Department of Budget and Management (DBM).
- Handles preparation of Deficiency Requests, Over the Target Requests, and Supplemental Budget Requests.
- Oversees the control of budgeted positions authorized through the budget process or by the Board of Public Works.
- Coordinates the Budget presentations to the State Superintendent of Schools and the State Board of Education.
- Develops responses to questions posed by the budget analysts from the Department of Budget and Management and the Department of Legislative Services for the Senior Executive Director of Policy Analysis and Fiscal Compliance and the Assistant State Superintendent of Financial Planning, Operations, and Strategy.
- Reviews and approves changes to the MSDE budgets including amendments and realignments as required.
- Oversees the preparation of monthly budget reports on State Aid, Headquarters, and Grants which contain Realignment Requests and Explanation of Adjustments, along with reconciliation to the Appropriation recorded by the Comptroller’s Office.
- Reviews and approves funding certification for contractual employees through the Non-Exempt Contractual Employee Budget Authorization requests.
- Reviews Reimbursable Fund agreements to recognize interdepartmental funding authorization.
- Coordinates the fiscal year-end closing budget amendment by developing adjustments to be included in the final budget amendment.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of professional experience with analyzing and developing financial, budget, and control systems for multiple programs.
1. Applicants may substitute possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or a Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics for one year of the required experience.
2. Applicants may substitute one year of professional accounting or auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
Applicants must meet the selective qualification(s) to be considered. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Applicants must have at least one (1) year of experience leading a State budgeting process with increasing responsibilities.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Additional (over 1 year) State or Federal budgeting experience
- Experience with Maryland State financial database/systems such as Financial Management Information Systems (FMIS) and R*STARS
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant
- Experience in the interpretation of State and Federal Statutes and Regulations
- Ability to supervise staff, manage projects, monitor performance, and implement improvements
Applicants are subject to a criminal background investigation in accordance with the federal Family Law Article, Section 5.5.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. The resulting list of eligible candidates will be in effect for at least one year.
It is preferred that applicants complete the MD State Government online application for employment. The application must clearly demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position. If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application, if you are unable to apply online.
All application materials must be received in our office by the closing date. Postmarks will not be accepted. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application or mailed to the address listed.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0019, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.