|Department||Maryland Higher Education Commission|
|Date Opened||3/6/2023 11:59:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/20/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$57,467 - $71,919 progressing to $92,290|
|HR Analyst||Cheryl Murphy|
The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC), is seeking an experienced and energetic individual to fill the position of Accountant Lead in their Budget and Administration Unit.
LOCATION OF POSITION
6 North Liberty Street, 10th FL, Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
- Provide fiscal and budgetary support through the performance of day-to-day fiscal and budgetary operations
- Assist Director in preparation of agency’s budget by collecting supporting data required from the various divisions
- Manage the general fund Community College Retirement and Pension Program
- Responsible for the fiscal management of the agency’s special fund programs including all revenue and payment reconciliations
- Prepare fiscal year end closing statements for review and approval by the Director
- Serves as MHEC’s COOP coordinator, fleet manager and corporate purchasing card manger
- Review and approves work for two accounting employees
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing.
Experience: Three years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with thirty credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing, for the required education.
2. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
3. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
4. Applicants may substitute one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Accounting Officer classification or Financial Management specialty codes in the Accounting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- The preferred candidate will possess current knowledge and extensive experience processing invoices and journal entries in FMIS and experience completing fiscal reconciliations.
- The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills, be detailed oriented and have extensive experience with Microsoft Office and FMIS.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Room 608
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.A without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).