CAPITAL CONSTRUCTION ENGINEER/ARCHITECT II
|Department||DGS Facilities Planning Design & Construction|
|Date Opened||5/20/2022 11:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/17/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$62,343 - $102,097/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Mojisola Ogungbe|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is located with the Design Construction & Energy Division of the Maryland Department of General Services (DGS), located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. Projects located at sites throughout the State of Maryland with travel to job sites as necessary.
Main Purpose of Job
This position works with other licensed architects and engineers to perform technical reviews of consultant or staff-prepared architectural and engineering, plans, details, specifications, technical project data, programs of requirements, studies and other documents for all phases of design and construction of facilities in support of a variety of State of Maryland agencies. The role also provides in-house architectural design services including preparation of bidding documents, review and approval of drawings, preparation of cost estimates, establishment of time schedules for design and construction, and resolution of technical engineer or architect problems.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviews designs, plans, specifications, contract documents, feasibility studies, and cost analyses of major multi-year capital construction projects developed by engineering or architectural consultants.
- Provides technical review comments on major multi-year capital construction projects for technical efficiency and sufficiency, code compliance, program requirements, and sound engineering or architectural practices.
- Reviews major multi-year capital construction projects during the six phases of design from the program stage through the schematic design, design development, construction documents and bidding stages.
- Provides in-house architectural design services within a specific engineering or architectural discipline including preparation of bidding, review and approval of drawings, preparation of cost estimates, establishment of time schedules for design and construction and resolution of technical engineer or architect problems.
- Provides technical assistance to State agencies and local governments for analysis of design concepts and construction problems, interpretation of technical data, cost issues and procurement of engineering or architectural services.
- Plans, directs and coordinates major multi-year capital construction projects from the program approval through design and post construction stages.
- Develops or reviews program phase of capital construction projects that outline the project needs and design criteria, project history and justification, functional requirements, technical considerations and requirements, budget information and complete scope of work.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Three years of experience as a design or project Engineer or Architect for large-scale multi-year construction projects.
1. A Master’s degree in engineering or architecture from an accredited college or university may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience.
2. Professional Engineer or Professional Architect registration in the State of Maryland or in a state with comparable requirements may be substituted for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Civil Engineer Corps or Engineering Aid classifications or Construction Engineering Technician, Technical Engineer, or Civil or Combat Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualifications, Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
• A Professional Licensed Engineer or Professional Licensed Architect registration in the State of Maryland
• US Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional.
• Two years of experience preparing and reviewing large-scale building construction documents including plans, and specifications.
• One year of experience reviewing feasibility reports and cost estimates.
• Experience analyzing technical data to evaluate the engineering or architectural integrity, safety, economy, efficiency and costs of large-scale multi-year building design and construction.• Uniform Construction Code Category 15 or higher or, International Code Council Inspector, Code Specialist or Code Professional Designations
• Ability to use computer-assisted design applications, standard word processing, spreadsheets, database and communications software is preferred
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please include all experience and education that is related to this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date; information submitted after the closing date will not be considered. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week; you must include the time spent on such activities on your application.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. You may submit your transcript as part of the application process. You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – verification will be completed upon hire. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of being placed on the eligibility list, you may participate in the selection process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of being placed on an eligibility list.
Please note, selected candidates may be required to complete and successfully pass a State and Federal fingerprint background check prior to being hired. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dgs.maryland.gov – click on Employment on the left side of the screen. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.