Director of Mathematics
Education Program Manager II
|Department||MSDE - Division of Instruction|
|Date Opened||10/28/2022 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/27/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$117,721 - $145,417/ year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher King|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 24
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Provides direct content specific leadership and oversight to statewide mathematics programs and initiatives.
- Provides leadership for mathematics curricular design, instructional implementation, assessment, and professional development in prekindergarten through 12th grade.
- Identifies gaps and barriers in access for historically disadvantaged students to advanced mathematics courses, pathways, and programs, develops and implements solutions.
- Provides high-quality technical assistance and professional learning sessions to local education agencies and early childhood education providers to build capacity for delivering highly effective teaching.
- Provides content expertise and leadership in the development and application of instructional materials in mathematics and collaborates with MSDE workgroups to design and implement curriculum, courses, pathways, and assessments aligned to the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future and the Blueprint’s college and career readiness standards.
- Provides fiscal coordination and accountability for all programs and initiatives related to mathematics
- Prioritizes mathematics workstreams and timelines and assigns staff to programs and initiatives and provides direct supervision to support staff.
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work in mathematics, STEM, education or a related area for two years of the required experience directly related to the position.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for this posting and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Office of Human Resources.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education, one year of which must have been in an administrative supervisory or consultative capacity.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of mathematics and/or STEM education skills-based instruction
- Knowledge of trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting mathematics education programs and assessment
- Knowledge of college and career readiness pathways, standards, trends, regulations, policies, and issues
- Knowledge of curriculum development
- Skill in implementing, monitoring, and evaluating education programs
- Skill collaborating with diverse communities and organizations for the purpose of analyzing programs and strategies
- Skill in developing and delivering professional development programs
- Ability to interpret and apply learning standards, policies and regulations
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.