Director of Social Studies
Education Program Manager II
|MSDE - Division of Instruction - History
|11/23/2022 1:30:00 PM
|3/23/2023 3:30:00 PM
|$117,721.00 - $145,417.00/year
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 24
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Provides leadership for social studies curricular design, instructional implementation, assessment, and professional development in prekindergarten through 12th grade.
- Identifies gaps and barriers in access for historically disadvantaged students to advanced social studies courses, pathways, and programs, develops and implements solutions.
- Spearheads and coordinates regular statewide content meetings and conducts local education agency site visits.
- Provides high-quality technical assistance and professional learning sessions to local education agencies and early childhood education providers to build capacity for delivering highly effective teaching.
- Provides content expertise and leadership in the development and application of state rubrics for ensuring high-quality instructional materials in social studies aligned to the Blueprint’s college and career readiness standards.
- Collaborates with MSDE workgroups to design and implement high-quality social studies curriculum, courses, pathways, and assessments aligned to the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future.
- Manages the development and coordination of college and career readiness pathways to ensure equitable access for historically disadvantaged students.
- Develop responses for stakeholder and press inquiries under the guidance of MSDE’s Office of Communications and Community Engagement.
- Demonstrates highly effective and collaborative relationships with divisions and offices to implement MSDE’s multiyear strategic plan and the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future.
- Manages statewide workgroups with key stakeholders focused on strengthening existing and building new social studies courses and pathways aligned to the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future.
- Designs, implements, and evaluates high-quality professional learning activities for a variety of audiences.
- Plans and implements activities to highlight social studies education in the state.
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work in History, Social Studies, Social Sciences, or related area for two years of the required experience directly related to the position.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for this posting and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Office of Human Resources.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education, one year of which must have been in an administrative supervisory or consultative capacity.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of social studies and social sciences content
- Knowledge of Maryland College and Career Readiness Standards for social studies and/or national standards
- Knowledge of standards, trends, regulations, policies, and effective instruction and assessment in social studies
- Knowledge college and career readiness pathway standards, trends, regulations, policies and issues affecting social studies and social science education.
- Skill in curriculum resource development
- Skill in implementing, monitoring, and evaluating education programs
- Skill collaborating with diverse communities and organizations for the purpose of analyzing programs and strategies
- Skill in developing and delivering professional development programs
- Skill in providing in managing multiple tasks and time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to interpret and apply learning standards, policies and regulations
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.